96blak54 Reanimated

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
functionality is important. If it isn't perfectly sealed then it will fail. I am no welding expert by any means but I can see some spots that it doesn't look like it penetrated on one side or the other as well as it needs to and I am afraid it will leak.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The weld you see is more less just cover up. Every joint of the flange that mates to the head will be tig welded and then ill mill the flange flat, so that it does seal up after a smooth spread of rtv.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Finally jack standed the car so that i could swap out the tired original starter to a Duralast lifetime warranty jem! Gotta love that lifetime warranty stuff especially clutches! Anyhow, car starts great now! I originally thought with the added compression the starting would struggle and thats how starting was going to be. Thats not the case! The starter was tired!

I also took the opportunity to play around with the exhaust. I took the y-connector to a single 3"outlet off and swapped in a cherry bomb single chamber dual in/dual out muffler. It sounds good, if you like muffled exhaust. Needless to say its not loud enough and will be removed in favor of the previous set up.....racecar! I will state the added back pressure did improve driving torque. Weird how that works, cause normal thinking is to believe un-corking the exhaust would improve power all around.

After driving and suspecting a spark miss....everytime i drive it! I decided to really dig in and figure this crap out. Ive changed all spark components to new fesh components except the original coil packs. My thinking is, coil packs go bad, so does 4 plugs.

I start off individually removing a plug wire from the coil working my way with each wire while engine running to observe effect like ive done 4other times! Keep in mind a 5.4l with a spark miss is rather hard to detect at idle unlike normal engines that shake and sputter from a dead cylinder. I make it to the 6plug wire and it lights my butt up! I jolt 4 to 5 times before my brain reacts so i can release the wire. Cautious to not have my knees touching the fender again, cause thats where i grounded out for the spark to travel through me. Dag on that hurt!

When i pulled the wire off, i could hear snapping sounds like sparking. Sure that all other plug wires intact, i searched for the arcing careful not to get bit again. I ruled out the arcing must be coming from under the pack or it was tracking across leads, either way...its junk. Ill head over to the parts house and grab a few replacements soon. Ill report next post.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So true!
Wasnt but 2weeks ago, installing new plug receptacles on the kitchen counter back splash. One would think all of the plugs associated with the back splash would be the same circuit breaker....not the case. Lit me up!

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Pro tip: if it's arcing above, running the engine when it's dead dark out you can sometimes see the arcing.

Also: look at the boots down inside the wells. I've had wires arc thru the boots to the well. If you inspect carefully, you might find a tiny black dot where it did.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Fle-ebay ignition coils

2pack for.... $24 SHIPPED!!!

After investigating ingnition coil prices.... $60ea at the part houses, $100ea for the big names performance, or $24 shipped for what you see in the pic. Browsing ebay for coils revealed a multitude of price differences leading one to believe an ignition coil manufacturer resides every 10miles down the road.

Now these coils just may very well be that "you get what you pay for" type of scenario. Well...we are gonna find out! $24 for the quality im needing and the 10miles a month i clock on the car seemed like a no brainer.

But lets think about it for a minute. Just how many companies are out there that can fit the bill for plastic injection molding machines, pay for the injection mold itself, stamps the metal for the coils to wrap around which include a press and stamping die.....not mentioning the workforce needed like laborers and skilled trades men and engineering. And then there is the coil windings and quality control....this list goes on and on.

This is what led me to think ...just how many coil companies are out there? Im sure there's only a few and market pricing keeps the consumer guessing.

I realize ford produced a crap ton of vehicles with these coils and there are still plenty on the road allowing for a good aftermarket, but really.....? .....how many companies are producing these things?

So after reading this, im sure most of you are asking the question "why not get the Coil On Plug conversion harness and use the COP"? To answer, i like the idea, but im gonna want to go stand alone engine management and really dont want to spend big coin on items i wont use when that day comes.

Ill keep you guys inform if these coils make or break my expectations.
6b95dbcebddf2da6d07a2bbc12e48cbb.jpg

AStangThang

Reaction score
Fle-ebay ignition coils

2pack for.... $24 SHIPPED!!!

After investigating ingnition coil prices.... $60ea at the part houses, $100ea for the big names performance, or $24 shipped for what you see in the pic. Browsing ebay for coils revealed a multitude of price differences leading one to believe an ignition coil manufacturer resides every 10miles down the road.

Now these coils just may very well be that "you get what you pay for" type of scenario. Well...we are gonna find out! $24 for the quality im needing and the 10miles a month i clock on the car seemed like a no brainer.

But lets think about it for a minute. Just how many companies are out there that can fit the bill for plastic injection molding machines, pay for the injection mold itself, stamps the metal for the coils to wrap around which include a press and stamping die.....not mentioning the workforce needed like laborers and skilled trades men and engineering. And then there is the coil windings and quality control....this list goes on and on.

This is what led me to think ...just how many coil companies are out there? Im sure there's only a few and market pricing keeps the consumer guessing.

I realize ford produced a crap ton of vehicles with these coils and there are still plenty on the road allowing for a good aftermarket, but really.....? .....how many companies are producing these things?

So after reading this, im sure most of you are asking the question "why not get the Coil On Plug conversion harness and use the COP"? To answer, i like the idea, but im gonna want to go stand alone engine management and really dont want to spend big coin on items i wont use when that day comes.

Ill keep you guys inform if these coils make or break my expectations.
6b95dbcebddf2da6d07a2bbc12e48cbb.jpg
$24!!!! I've never seen these packs. I've used Motorcraft, BWD, and MSD brands. Of course the Motorcraft wins, but in my case the BWD's were better than the MSD's. Sometimes the "value brands" plug wires has trouble staying on the coil, they just don't fit like the Motorcrafts do. I'm interested in what you will have to say about them.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So far so good!

On this maiden voyage i noticed some mid throttle stumble in 5th gear. Im guessing spark blow out due to a rich load. The 10° outside temps may have contributed to the rich conditions or it could have been these packs not having the power, cause the car never stumbled before. Time will tell.

Also for the fitment of the wires. Just as you stated about them not fitting or staying on. Its the plugs terminal that would catch on the inside cup turminal. The wires didnt exactly drop into the coil like motorcrafts without a little bit of mending to the plug wire terminal. Taking a needle nose plier i shaped the terminals ends to a taper, allowing the terminal to start in easy, but thats not saying it was simple. A little bit of touch and feel to align the terminal before that final push into place was needed. Once in position, i cant see how the plug wire will back out. They clip in good.

Time will tell if i trashed money or not.

I know the single dual in/out cherry bomb muffler i installed was a waste!!! I do not like its sound!!! First chance i get the car up in the air....back to straight pipe with the dual Y-adapter i had on it. Although i believe im going to install some restriction pipe just before the Y-adapter. Like slip in some 2.5" to 2" adapters inside the pipe just before the Y-adapter. Im looking for some krackle pop!

I will also note the muffler install improved the cars toe in throttle and drivability torque, meaning less pedal effort. Last drove the car before these coils install i noticed keeping smooth pedal pressure was difficult due to how the cars response to toe in throttle. May just be me.

Last edited:

AStangThang

Reaction score
Sometimes we have to try stuff out to see if it works or not. The BWD brand plug wires I had to perused onto the coil packs, and every once in a while one of them would jump off. These cheaper parts reminded me why I'm a Motorcraft geek lol. Oil filter, plugs, plug wires, coil packs, gas filter, and all the sensors are all Motorcraft now. I bet those cherry bombs are loud bro. I got my PAC .600 lift springs, trick flow crank gears, and some other goodies in yesterday, so I'm just waiting on my heads to get done from my machinest. The pic shows my cams in it but I've had them for 6 months or so. 0131190659.jpg

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The cherry bomb and loud do not go together. Personally i think it sounds like crap and prefer the straight open racecar sound.

AStangThang

Reaction score
The cherry bomb and loud do not go together. Personally i think it sounds like crap and prefer the straight open racecar sound.
I think I have the cherry bombs and glass packs mixed up, do they sounds like glass packs? Cause its been a minute since I've head one.

AStangThang

Reaction score
I think I got cherry bomb and glass packs mixed up. I always hated the glass packs, but I haven't heard a cherry bomb in years.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well honestly cherry bomb is known for glasspacks, but thats not what i installed. Its a dual in/dual out single chamber muffler. Kinda like a flowmaster. I was hoping for the krackle and pop, but all i got was hummm.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I did the cherry bomb dual in/out single chamber, swapped back to the Y adapter dual 2" inlet / 3" outlet cause the cherry bomb wasnt loud enough. Sounded good for a minute, but tired of it fast cause i couldnt feel the rumble.

I ordered up a Jones X pipe. 2.5" in/out. Like $27 shipped. Jacked the rear up, loosened exhaust clamps and slipped this Xpipe in. So it goes shorty headers, jegs Hpipe, flow tubes, Xpipe dumped.

The sound is amazing! Best $27 spent!!!

RedTwilight

Reaction score
My little local gas station just got busted for NOT selling ethanol.

WHAT!!
We only have one station in the entire county that sells E85 and Flex Fuel.
But we did have a shop get busted for selling consumable Ethanol. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online