96blak54 Reanimated

50HSN95

Reaction score
Nice rebuild progress. Just out of curiosity do you know what the clearance ended up being from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the pick-up tube?

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I didnt hard measure it. Nor did i use a transfer method like silly putty. If i use my best guess, thats 28yrs of machining, id say roughly 3/32".

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
At a hold up for now. Short block is ready to mount heads, but im uncertain if i want to proceed with these heads or attempt to grind out another set, but this time use 97/98 npi 5.4l heads.

Heads im using now are 96 4.6l style and ran great. While decking the heads i noticed a ring formed around around the chamber, most likely from headgasket crush. Wait a minute, i used the felpro headgaskets, not stock. The stock gaskets will embed a ring into the head surface when crushing, these felpro do not. Having a closer look i notice the ring was only formed around one area of the chambers. ....You know, ive seen this before... detonation! I had wondered why the 5.4l npi heads increased it water cavities. Detonation reduction just might be why!

I have one 5.4l head and need one more. I have plenty of other heads, 4.6l npi and pi if someone can trade?

d.garza18

Reaction score
At a hold up for now. Short block is ready to mount heads, but im uncertain if i want to proceed with these heads or attempt to grind out another set, but this time use 97/98 npi 5.4l heads.

Heads im using now are 96 4.6l style and ran great. While decking the heads i noticed a ring formed around around the chamber, most likely from headgasket crush. Wait a minute, i used the felpro headgaskets, not stock. The stock gaskets will embed a ring into the head surface when crushing, these felpro do not. Having a closer look i notice the ring was only formed around one area of the chambers. ....You know, ive seen this before... detonation! I had wondered why the 5.4l npi heads increased it water cavities. Detonation reduction just might be why!

I have one 5.4l head and need one more. I have plenty of other heads, 4.6l npi and pi if someone can trade?[/QUOTE do any of those heads have a price ?

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Latest update,
I ditched the previously ran npi ported heads due to detonation issues. Although not recognized while running, the head surface showed the signs and to clean the deck up would take roughly .030" cut and they are already .120" decked. These particular heads found on any npi 4.6l have substantially less water cavities compared to any pi head and the 5.4l npi head.

The detonation was visible only around the quench area of the chamber and along the gasket bore meaning nothing to do with combustion detonation, but hot spots tucked between block and head surfaces on the gasket bore. A diameter that is typically .100" bigger in diameter than the cylinder bore. Micro automatic combustions.

Wanting to keep the under dog scenario, i wanted to keep using npi heads, but i had No luck sourcing a set of 5.4l npi heads at a reasonable cost. Im not spending the going salvage yard rate of $300 for a set of whats coincided by most to be junk worthy.

Moving forward i have decided to go with a set of worked out 5.4l pi heads. Not 100% sure of the differences between normal 4.6l pi heads and 5.4l heads, but these heads clearly embossed in the aluminum "5.4l".

Mild porting, some seat work and a few other trickerys will make for an interesting learn. Bumping compression down a few points not on purpose, just running the head as is drops the compression. Roughly 11.5:1. Due to availability I can always grab another set of pi heads, work them over and deck them real good to get even crazier compression ratio should the success of this build plays out well. Given the better cooling aspects with these heads and strictly running E85, any increased ratio conjured up shouldnt be a problem.

My main concern is valve seats dropping out and blowing out sparkplugs...Typical pi head flaws!

20200623_155526.jpg

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Let me remind you ttocs......you be the one picking on me about my 18:1 compression build! Remember?

And yes .120" is huge. So much so, other engine components had to be modified as well. Like front cover, chain tensioners....all in fun tho!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have done just over .100 maybe .110 total on npi, but I run baby cams.
11.5:1 is good.. now you can run 36 degrees of advance timing and make a ton of power.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ill be able to run pump gas a little safer. Although i believe the 5.4l npi heads with their increased water cavities, it would have ran fine at 13:1 compression with no detonation. You see, thats the area where the detonation signs where on the heads.

We will see how these pi heads go. Mean while ill be tracking more parts down!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Let me remind you ttocs......you be the one picking on me about my 18:1 compression build! Remember?

And yes .120" is huge. So much so, other engine components had to be modified as well. Like front cover, chain tensioners....all in fun tho!
you will never need to remind me of what I can pick on you about. Its a natural gift I was given being the little brother.... I can't remember names worth a crap but tell me something on accident that I possibly should not know and i will never forget.

d.garza18

Reaction score
Those heads you ditched any good for my engine? Or do you happen to have a set of 4.6 npi heads with your touch collecting dust you’d be willing to sell

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Heads not good. They decked almost 1/8" which would require more modifications to other components. Add in the detonation areas that need .030" clean up....not good.

I also used the head with the highest cfm flow potential and mapped the ports on the cnc mill and got the program written to mill the ports. Ill be able to copy each port exactly by milling them.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Purchased an ebay radiator. Roughly $150 to the door. It showed up a few days ago and i managed to snap some pics. Sat it down in its new home, the fit is good. I do believei am going to delete the abs braking unit. I dont see its purpose useful here. Anyonw with experience deleting one, any info is welcomed.
20211031_160824.jpg

Attachments

• 20211031_160515.jpg
    20211031_160515.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 4

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can find a delete block to make it easy. I see them on facebook from time to time but I am not sure who actually sells them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online