96blak54 Reanimated

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
BAM

2f4419d31dc7990ea00d324baf5627e2.jpg

I do own a mustang! Life played me a struggle card for nearly 10yrs and lately this has changed. I must have delt an Ace...or at least a step up from a 2 (2 being the worst).

It feels great wrenching on her again! Although no tools have been used for this photo. Im cleaning up a mess. In the basement garage, unattended for 4years has collected some dust. Not a penny to my name could I get a car cover, I had to sacrifice. Cats, spiders, and saw dust added the only protection to the 125,000mile paint.

Plans of now
Clean!

Ive pulled all the wheels off and scotchbrite scrubbed all the rust hazed steel and cast iron components residing under the fenders for a thick coat of black spray paint. The wheel wells plastic got hosed with pledge to bring a shine back. And for what ever reason, the previous owner installed "YELLOW" lowering springs. I dont plan to switch anything out, but dont want yellow accents around the car. Any ideas? Im thinking shoot the black rattle can in that direction.

I got into the engine bay only to find an ocean of road grime covering everything. I started off dry wiping 1st and in the more difficult areas I used a light scouring pad. I fint want to use wet cleaner cause of a bigger mess or smearing. The dry meathod seem to work well as long as dry clean towels were used.

The engine sits on the stand still awaiting a few upgrade components before I button it up. I told myself, it will sit untill I get what I want. I didnt want to use the same identical build. I wanted more, I want to push myself more with building. An broken exhaust valve spring is the reason for the tare down. No damage was done otherwise, just a broken spring. And to add,.....the spring was aftermarket. Im convinced stock springs are indestructible!!

Next up, probably a different header panel. One headlight mount is broke for no repairable fix (at least I dont think so). This explains why my driver light would dance at night driving.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Glad to see you back at it man! With the knowledge you've shared with me and others about the modular motors, I can't wait to see where this build ends up. Good luck with the car and hopefully things keep looking up

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Uh-oh! Its getting real in here right now. Im glad you were able to get out from under your rock and get this thing moving along lol. Car looks great for having sat there for a while.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Positive encouragment always accepted! Ive been want to do a build thread for a while. The inspiration of builds threads from this forum plants a seed for success. Watching all you guys bring life back into or modding out with simple affordable techniques really inspires!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
71234e7a5485718912ab83e992a651f3.jpg

So I picked these wheels up cheap, roughly the same time I parked the car. They are American racing and were chrome plated. The previous owner had them stripped and textured powder coated. They look really good paint wise on great on the car, but Im just not into a black car with black wheels (yellow springs as of right now...lol). Especially when the wheels dont shine.....well they would shine with a liquid glaze of some sort. So im thinking maybe paint the center section? Thing is, im not sure how it will turn out over the textured powder coat. Any ideas?

I believe a copper or bronze painted center would be striking! Leave the rim black

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Copper or bronze would look great, I'm currently on the white wheel kick myself though. My sister got some white wheels for her black civic hatch, and I plasti-dipped mine white to mess with her. I ended up liking the way the white showed the actual wheel structure so it has stuck since. Most wheels that contrast the black car (metallic, white or silver) seems to look good for my taste.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I had a stagged set of black/machined lip bullitts. I thought they looked great, but ever other mustang had them, so I picked up the american racing and sold the others.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
809ba63e8847cfe742c290d3f5f6db20.jpg

Taping off prepping for paint doesnt work well with texture. Paint tracking under the tape and the tape wont stick to the texture, so I made template shields. Still had paint tracking and over spray but its light overspray and should scrub off.

ac01161ec8d28fa7d261ffbf177d3b5d.jpg

15ad521943960d387d8464f2873e10d2.jpg

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have a strong feeling it will take the wheels an extra mile.

Going black on the center cap?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I got the widened eddy intake finished for my 5.4l 2v. I cut the original fuel rail towers off and welded in some stock aluminum for stock fuel rails to bolt down

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I know really! I got a ton of over spray on the wheel in the pic. Tape will not stick to the textured paint, so its impossible to mask off. I used templates to block areas not to be painted, but spekles made it through the cracks. I have another idea to help aid painting the other wheels.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ok...so now tape will stick to the fresh bronze paint even though with a texture.

I masked off the bronze center and touched the rim up with wrinkle black, only because the texture matches. It really does look good! Cost $20....im happy.
Now on to the other 3 wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online