96GT - 1st - 2nd shift issue

SN95_Project

Reaction score
Our '96GT recently decided it will only shift from 1st to 2nd if I let off of the throttle. All other gears shift smoothly. No jerking or anything from 1st to 2nd either. Just won't go until I let off of the throttle. Any tips here?

Took it out for another spin. Doing same thing. Will shift smoothly from first to second if I manually put it in 1st, then shift it up to second. When I put it in drive, it seems like it wants to go back to first then shifts smoothly to second if I let off on throttle like mentioned before.

Thank you!

**EDIT** Did some research and it looks like it is a accumulator piston. Found some good info on TCCOA and youtube. Gonna buy parts tomorrow and try to work on it this week.

Anyone that's done the JMOD have a link to the drill template for a 1996? I can't seem to find it on TCCOA.

**EDIT #2** So I was able to get all of the info needed as well as the template (Thank you and credit to RAU03MACH). Ordered everything from globaltransmissionparts dot com with free shipping and no tax (in OH). Hopefully I'll have everything late this week/early next week and can knock this out over Christmas break! If anyone has this happen and needs details, feel free to DM me for updates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
Ok guys - I did the Jmod. The exception is that this car is daily driven by a 16 yr old kid (good kid - but still a kid). I didn't want 2nd gear wheel chirp to be too tempting so I got new springs and put in it instead of leaving the lower ones out. Not sure if the spring kit I had was off or what, but everything SEEMED to be pretty straight forward. Came apart easy - went back together the same. No spare parts! LOL!

Anyway, now the shift from 1-2 doesn't happen until between 3500 and 4000 RPMs. It shifts smooth, but at a higher RPM than used to. Note that this is "normal" driving and not WOT. Also, I had it on the interstate today and I punched it to pass a car. I was doing about 70. It downshifted (I think all the way to 1st), RPMs redlined and the car no longer had power. I let off immediately and the car got back into 3rd and took off fine from there. No more incidents the rest of the drive. Got it home, checked fluid and it looks like I might have put 1/4-1/2 qt too much trasnmission fluid in. I'll get some tubing and pull that back out.

Question - is this a product of the springs or did I FUBAR something? Also, if it's a function of the springs changing the shift points, can I use a tuner to change it back or am I headed to the tranny shop?

Thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online