97 Cobra boogie?

1990Turbo

Reaction score
I just got the car This last weekend and under heavy throttle and a good amount of speed it feels like its dancing all over the road. I guess thats the best way to describe it. It has been lowered but i think thats all thats been done to the suspension. Any ideas?

chris91

Reaction score
What brand/size tires you running? Is it just the front end feelin squirrely? I know when running fairly wide tires on the front they like to grab every nook and cranny in the road.

OP
OP
1990Turbo

1990Turbo

Reaction score
I havent even looked at the front tire size. Pretty wide i think 9in rims. I cant tell what end its coming from but its a tad scary at those speeds. I have heard the same thing from another guy i know said its pretty common on SNs

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Sounds like you're either loosing traction or you have enough play in your wheel to be noticed at high speed but is not noticeable at cruising speeds and such?

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Next time you get the chance have a buddy drive behind you. Maybe your car is 'trackin' due to stock/shitty rear upper/lower control arm bushings. This will 'cause the rear end to get squirrely 'causing a funny seatofthepants feeling and bad handling.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
So.... what tires and shocks/struts/springs are you running? By boogie you mean all over the road bc of no traction?

OP
OP
1990Turbo

1990Turbo

Reaction score
Well you can deffinitly feel when its losing traction but its after that when it finally hooks and building speed rapidly. I have no idea of what speed it has a 99 cobra trans so the speedo doesnt work right now. It has stock struts shocks and some kind of lowering springs not sure of the brand. Sounds kind of like what Tally 4.6 is talking about. I know I hate it and needs to be fixed just hoping some one can point me in the right direction of what to replace. Thanks for the info so far.

chris91

Reaction score
Id go with some tubular lower control arms, replace the bushings in the uppers, go with some nice shocks and struts and if you are running some cheapo tires Id definitely upgrade those too. With high HP cars you dont want to be cheaping out on anything.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
If its after you hook, most likely bushings, shocks/struts, and maybe even worn out old springs.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Okay does it feel like the rear sways back and forth side to side? I had that with my 95, pretty annoying.. Noticed it got better when I changed the shocks and struts.. Don't notice it anymore since I installed J&M Rear Lower control arms.

RichV

Reaction score
Hard to diagnose off a post. Could be anything from alignment, to old crappy bushings, to normal wandering due to wide/sticky tires up front. Sounds like the PO did some upgrades, so check what is stock, and what's not.

On my 05 GT, I put on some Brembo wheels with the 255mm 220 UTQG Pirellis, and it is very sensitive to road rutts and uneven surfaces. Seems like it steers itself sometimes. Old stock wheels with all season 235mm tires didn't do that at all.

OP
OP
1990Turbo

1990Turbo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. Gonna have to get it in the air and start looking at the suspention.

robb15033

Reaction score
My 2 cents:
Tires have to be "Road Force" balanced & then aligned. Alignment is a BIG issue with lowered Mustangs. Most shops do not know how to align it correctly.
-Do you have a bumpsteer kit installed? Caster Camber Plates?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online