97 Cobra Engine Question

shawdaddy1972

Reaction score
Got a 97 Cobra. Ran low on oil :dunno: and it has a "tick" now. The tick gets faster as the rpm's get higher. I'm thinking I may have spun a main bearing. I know my way around the 5.0's, but I'm new to the 4.6 motor. Any ideas on what to look for first. I want to thank you guys in advance for any help you can give me :)

Wesman

Reaction score
Main bearings don't generally tick, from the ones I;ve heard anyway. Usually you'll get a thunk as you start the motor or turn it off if its the main bearings. More than likely its the valvetrain, since the 4.6 is OHC, it was probably starved for oil in the top end.

I'd pull the valve covers and see what you can find out.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wesman said:
Main bearings don't generally tick, from the ones I;ve heard anyway. Usually you'll get a thunk as you start the motor or turn it off if its the main bearings. More than likely its the valvetrain, since the 4.6 is OHC, it was probably starved for oil in the top end.

I'd pull the valve covers and see what you can find out.

+1 A main bearing will knock not tick. It is in the valve train.

L

LR98Snake

is it faint or loud? Also does it dissipate the longer you drive it? If it does, it sounds like a lifter/lash adjuster. If that is the case, just do a good mobil 1 change. If you still hear it, try some marvel mystery oil additive. Let me know if this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online