97 cobra hood

GreenCobra

Reaction score
Hi you all knowledgeable peeps, just discovered that my Hood (Bonnet to us Brits!) is I believe Fibreglass!
Is this a Stock feature?

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
Well isn't it actually some form of other fiber? I remember someone recently getting into a long discussion about this. But yes, the "fiberglass" hood is factory and should have a Ford stamp on the driverside brace.

JKady

Reaction score
Well isn't it actually some form of other fiber? I remember someone recently getting into a long discussion about this. But yes, the "fiberglass" hood is factory and should have a Ford stamp on the driverside brace.
It's sheet molded composite "SMC" it's basically fiberglass but with much longer fibers and is pressed/stamped instead of laid up into a mold. Same stuff Corvette bodies and lots of 4th gen F-body panels are made out of. Strong but usually heavier than fiberglass. I believe the long discussion you speak of was the one surrounding me violating my stock hood with a cut-off wheel to save weight. There are 3 big steel plates in the stock hoods, one around the latch, and one that each hinge bolts to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99