97 cougar xr7 into 98 v6 Mustang

Jubert

Reaction score
Can I install a 97 cougar xr7 complete engine into my 98 mustang and is it worth it so I can build a turbo charged engine ???

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
I meant supercharged engine I apologize

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take a stab - initially it should be possible, they both used the Essex 3.8 V6. The Cougar used a different trans though, and I'm not sure if the wiring harness would work as the cougar had a lot of additional stuff your Mustang doesn't (electronically adjustable suspension, etc). So at first blush it looks maybe do-able with some potential obstacles.

The more important question, I think, is why that particular engine. It was supercharged in the Cougar, and the only real difference between engines that I am aware of is lower compression ratio in the supercharged version. Is that why you want to turbo it - because it already has lower compression?

Edit: just saw your post update - the Cougar engine should already be supercharged. Having said that, if you are interested in supercharging, there are several folks here that have supercharged a V6, Orange 94 being one of them - he will probably have better advice for you if that's the route you want to take.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=17635]Orange 94[/MENTION], got any advice for this gentleman?

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
Thanks a lot I seen some of his build and I am trying to wrap my head around that split port scenario I face I cant find The windstar pieces I need on ebay and I live In vegas Many people here dont trust our junk yards

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm! Interesting topic! I've never heard of anyone playing with the cougar setup nor have I even thought about it. I'll have to do some research since I have no idea.

I'd like to say it shouldn't be any different then any other v6 swap. Essentially swap as much mustang parts over as you can, especially electronically, and drop it in.

I'll look more into it when I have some time

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So first off:

Which will you be using, the 3.8 or the 3.8 supercharged version? I believe the supercharged version was like the supercoupe with the m90

What's the reasoning behind the cougar swap? Do you already own it, or just found it?

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
I want the supercharged engine... I'm currently looking into whether I should even try it before I buy it.... And if it's worth it... I just bought my Mustang and I'm having some issues... With gunk in the radiator... So that's another reason why I want to eventually swap the engine... I also seen somebody take a Lincoln Mark 7 8.8 rear axle and install it in various mustangs... Can anyone confirm this to be possible??? And with that 8.8 will it benefit my stock v6 engine at this moment???

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd look for a supercoupe if you want that combo. That swap is pretty straight forward.

You could also go the split port way.

The 8.8 is a good swap. No idea about the mark, its always a guessing game with swapping parks from them. You should be able to find a cheap 8.8 easily, then you just swap axles.

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
Where do I find this 8.8 I am having a rough time with ebay

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Salvage yards in the area are a no-go? Also check your local craigslist.

Edit: forums like this also often have members selling stuff. Check the classifieds here as well as some other popular Mustang forums like stangnet, allfordmustangs and mustangforums.

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
Does anyone think the supercharged engine from a xr7 will work. I found one for $600

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In theory it should. I don't suspect it would be any different then the t-birds. But I'm not sure, don't know enough about cougars.

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
I really appreciate the feedback I see a variety of answers... I'm short though what should I get of what build thread should I refer to just to supercharge my v6 98 Mustang

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In theory it should. I don't suspect it would be any different then the t-birds. But I'm not sure, don't know enough about cougars.

Heh heh, at least....not those *cougars*, right? Eh, amiright? Eh? :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online