98-01 cup holder into 94-97 ashtray trash swap and mod

ram360

Reaction score
ha, I just took the easy way out and just swapped the console. Looks pretty straight foreward that way just take your time.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
let me know how it goes. I bought a cup holder and a junker center console just to try this out. then i never got around to it. LOL.

(if you want a junked black center console or a black cup holder, let me know.)

poisonbl

Reaction score
I'm actually aiming for the same sometime next week, since my dremmel's sitting 100mi south of me and I have to head through there for work anyhow. As for the little details involved, where do you plan to route the lighter socket you're pulling out, or are you just capping the leads, and any plans for the light itself that'll be coming out?

sinister_svt

Reaction score
I did the swap on my Cobra. I got the console from a 98 in a junkyard for 20 bucks cleaned it up took about 30 mins to swap and did the fog light mod at the same time.. The console wiring is almost the same for the 98 except the power point plug in the shifter bezel so if you don't get the bezel just swap the plug

97FloridaGT

Reaction score
I didn't know my storage bin came factory with "carpeting" until I read this.....

John Nich

Reaction score
The 1998 Console SUCKS! if a passenger puts their drink in the "mug holder" it's gonna fall on somebodies lap the next turn you make.

John Nich

Reaction score
However, I did retrofit a 1996 Carpeted console insert with the fold out cup holder. 1996 had all kinds of subtle interior/exterior differences that the other years lack. like underhood lights, glovebox lights, the front grille....

2lowsn

Reaction score
That is a great write up and idea. Might have to give this one a try one of these days.

poisonbl

Reaction score
The 1998 Console SUCKS! if a passenger puts their drink in the "mug holder" it's gonna fall on somebodies lap the next turn you make.

Very true, but one good cup holder is better than one flimsy, irritating, flip-out cup holder that interferes with the e-brake handle, in my opinion.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure how the flip out one interferes with the parking brake unless its different then my 94? Also not sure why you are holding your drink in the car with the brake on if it is an issue. I don't smoke nor allow anyone too so I just make a switch bank in the ashtray.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! I didnt know you could do that. My interior was very damaged and missing, so i replaced most of it with grey 2000 mustang inteior. mixed a few things with usable pieces from the orginal black 94 interior too. If I kept the 94 console in, this would have been very useful!

sweet94GT

Reaction score
I just swapped an interior from an 01 into my 94. Love the different center console. Was an easy swap too. Wiring harness plugged right in. I dunno if maybe it had been done previously, as my seats are from an 01+. I had that dingy ashtray part and shitty flip out cup holder, so I'm pretty sure that was original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk like a boss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online