98-01 cup holder into 94-97 ashtray trash swap and mod

sweet94GT

Reaction score
I looked at the cup holder inserts on LMR as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk like a boss

Mike_98GT

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I just ended up swapping the console too though. On my gfs 96 that is. Came out pretty sweet. Gives it a better modern look if you ask me.

ldmiller281

Reaction score
CAM00062_zps38efa100.jpg

I had to dremel my ash tray out and then i took my time and took material away little by little until i got the desired fit. I got the cup holder for $25 on ebay. It's a small thing, but it makes things better.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Hah funny I did mine this last weekend.

And I hate it... Not only does it not fit quite right even though it sits right down like it should, it just doesn't work. I know my shifter is not as common as some but I can't get anything but a soda can in the front cupholder without it getting in the way of my shifter and the back one is a pile of shit for anything.

To combat this mess I got ahold of a 01-04 console from the corral for $125 shipped in good shape. Will be painting it black and installing it and finally have a set of cupholders that don't suck a bag of dicks. I'm serious the 98-00 cupholders are as useless as tits on a bull.

Caboose302

Reaction score
What's the difference in the 01-04 vs the 98-01? I know the bezels are more square but are the console shaped differently?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
What's the difference in the 01-04 vs the 98-01? I know the bezels are more square but are the console shaped differently?

Behold the glory of functional cupholders

To put in a 94-98 car you need to paint them to match properly and lengthen the foglight switch wires to plug in up by the front cupholder. Also there is a slight gap at the bottom rear of the console between it and the floor because the newer floors are shaped a little differently but nobody will ever notice and even if they do it doesn't do anything to the functionality of the console. You'll never see it again sitting in the front.

Caboose302

Reaction score

To put in a 94-98 car you need to paint them to match properly and lengthen the foglight switch wires to plug in up by the front cupholder. Also there is a slight gap at the bottom rear of the console between it and the floor because the newer floors are shaped a little differently but nobody will ever notice and even if they do it doesn't do anything to the functionality of the console. You'll never see it again sitting in the front.

OK. So would it be a good idea to replace the radio bezel as well? Or does it look fine with the 94-01 bezel?

Caboose302

Reaction score
Nevermind. Asked my buddy who owns a 2003 and I forgot the Fog lights, TC, and defrost are in the radio bezel, not the shifter bezel like I was thinking . So i'd have 2 switched that don't do anything. I'm sure I could come up with something for them though...

sn95 bullitt

Reaction score
2012-07-29_11-39-58_123_zps002dc35d.jpg
I don't have to lengthen my fog light wires in my 97.

Also the big cup holder is useless un less you have the rubber insert.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not so much as useless as it just adds the option of spilling your drink in either you or your passengers lap. Depending on the passenger, it might not be a bad option.

Not sure if its just because I am so use to my 94 or not but the cup holder center just looks weird too me. The button directly infront of them seems strange as well. I made my ashtray into a switch-bank long ago since no smoking is allowed.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'm going to get a new insert for the console I bought and the stainless piece to dress it up too. I love the position of the foglight switch in the new style console but to each their own. I'm making mine a DD at this point unless its pouring or snowing or there is crap all over the roads so a beverage provision is required. Yeah I could take a bottle and throw it on the pass seat like I used to but being able to have a mug of good coffee on the way to work is kind of required IMO. The seats in my 98 are vinyl so no danger there. Carpet... it was $120 TMI carpet, if it gets too messed up from a spill I'll replace it and make it fit better than my current one. I have never spilled a drink where I got it all over the vehicle though from years of commuting. Now that I've said that the first big cup of coffee I put in mine is going to wind up soaking the carpet under the console.

Caboose302

Reaction score
So wait... Are grey interiors in the 01-04 a different shade than the 94-98? I suck at painting and really don't want to unless I have to, lol.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Yes. On the new edges, it's called "dark charcoal". The difference between the two is actually very noticeable.

Damn. Guess I'm gong to have to see if I can find a thread on painting interior pieces. I might take my buddy's radio bezel and see if it looks goofy since it's more squared off. Mines busted anyway.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you are going black and on plastic this is the only time I recommend something other the duplicolor. For plastic I like to use krylon fusion paints. Be sure to do more then just scuff it as after years of armor all you will need to get down to fresh plastic for it to stick. Take some scotchbright with a heavy hand or lightly with some 320 grit paper, of course after that wipe it clean with alcohol. The only other advice I give is to do 3 very light coats about 10-15 mins apart first. By the end of the 3rd coat, you should almost have it completely covered. Now on the 4rth coat you can go ahead and get it wet and cover everything.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Yes dark charcoal is very noticeable vs the black (ebony) in the 94-98 cars. I just got my 01 Console in today. I've been told by some other ppl to do rustoleum semi gloss black and its a perfect match. Was going to definitely do the scotchbrite thing with dawn and warm water and then hit it. This console is MUCH nicer than the piece that is coming out. I am excited. I will look into the krylon fusion paint though. Any specific recommendation you have would be great.

Console I got is pretty mint. Boot has a few small holes but will be ok till I get the redline shifter and e brake boots ordered. Need to order the cupholder insert but I only paid $125 shipped.

And to anyone wondering, this is what the rear of it looks like and you can see how it'll have a small gap vs the 94-98 consoles. But you will never see it from the front and I don't know of too many ppl who actually use the backseats of their cars anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online