98 car 04 engine and trans

srthauler

Reaction score
Guys I just picked up this 04 engine and trans to put in my 98. Only issue with the one I have is the coolant leak at thermostat housing which showed up just recently and the trans issue were it pops out of reverse. Any way is this going to be a direct bolt in or what issues are going to come up. I know I have to do something with the ignition wires because I have 2 coil packs and this is COP. I only have this tapatalk app to use for the next few weeks so I don't know how to search the forum. If there is a link post it and I'll be happy to read it. Thanks in advance.
a0fbf6d06823892c039915c6b7b5dc58.jpg
0c814f0d02202ba3dae0647f470d8f9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
srthauler

srthauler

Reaction score
Shifter had 3650 on it I think.

I thought I read somewhere the trans crossmember might me different and I would have to order one.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think that. I am not enough of a 4.6 expert to help you out here. As I recall you might need something changed to run the 3650.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
IIRC the trans crossmember was universal for the gt and cobra. Tranny tailshafts were different lengths between the 2 models and this placed the crossmember bolting up at 2 different locations. Depending on the body style, cobra or gt depends on where the crossmember is

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ive heard of people flipping the crossmember over to make it work. Also I think you have to do something for the speedo. Id have to look into it again.

Edit: Yea you'll need a speedcal for the speedometer to work.

OP
OP
srthauler

srthauler

Reaction score
What else would be recommended. Water pump and thermostat, oil pump windage tray, timing chain and tensioners. Motor has 61k on it and will mainly be used weekend cruising but mainly autocross and open track days at VIR, summit point and the new old dominion track. I have the complete maximum motorsport suspension package other than the k member which I'll put in prior to dropping this motor in. I do want to put a super charger on it but I'm not going for high horsepower just the grin factor and the whine. Thoughts ideas.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If it were me, id be pulling the front cover to be sure the chain guide tentioner was NOT plastic. And if it is, id be swapping in a cast iron one.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
It’ll bolt straight in, just reuse your dual coil packs instead of the COP’s.

Speedcal will be needed to get the speedometer to work.

With 61k miles, i’d put a thermostat, new fluids and hoses and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The factory cop wasn’t as strong. I learned this recently when someone was having issues with it on a boosted car.

Now standalone with ls style coils is a different story!!! Ask me how I’ll know when I ever get my car done!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Lwarrior switch to LS coil set up, he should know too. Claims he didnt look back after the switch

OP
OP
srthauler

srthauler

Reaction score
Yea just went to a shop that specializes in mustangs and they told me to leave the coil packs. No benefit to switching. He also has a used vortec which they will install and tune for 2 grand. 6-7 psi kit.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a good deal there. When you figure between 4 and 600 for tuning typically. Plus however much for a kit. Plus install.

OP
OP
srthauler

srthauler

Reaction score
Well got the wiring switched over. Seems I have to drill and tap 1 hole for the temp sensor since the 98 used 2. What about the water outlet? Do I use a different one from another vehicle with the the right angle. I also need to swap transmission tailshaft and speedometer. Ordered the maximum motorsport k member and it came in but won't have time to do it till the week of Xmas when I'm off. Trying to think of a low cost clutch to put in since now is the perfect time to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online