98 Catback on a 95 Mustang. (problems)

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I brought a catback for a 98 GT thinking the only thing i had to change was the exhaust hangers to make it work on my 95. So far its been more than that. The actual piping is longer on this system and everything is all off when the tailpipes are attached and wont fit without cutting and re welding part of the system.

The part number comes back as 98 Cobra/GT ONLY. From the looks of it.. some 98's came with the old 94-97 style hangers and some came with the newer 99-04 hangers, but still its listed as 98 GT/Cobra only no matter what style hanger it used. You had to specify what hangers you needed if you buy a catback from bassani on a 98 Mustang.
http://www.bassani.com/part/46985S

Now im wondering whats going on. Is this just a really bad fitment catback??? or is there a length difference also with the catback of a 94-97 versus 98.

The axle section and everything is the same i would think. Why would it be longer on my car? The mufflers meet up to the stock location for the muffler hanger btw. Unless the tips are just for 98.. I been under this car to much to unbolt it and get the muffler part number so that wont happen soon.

This is pretty frustrating, but its worth it. The outcome sound you can get is just amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Vx6a5cjSQ
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgYBlHM7v4

=] Thanks again B.I. I been wanting this exhaust since 2006, so once its all fixed up... oh boy... nothing but smiles.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I have a 98 Cobra/GT bassani catback. I have used it on both my 96 gt and my 96 cobra. As well as it was on my brothers 95 GT for a while with no fitment issues aside from changing the hanger. The only difference between the 98 only kits and the 97 and down kits are the tips themselves. Nothing else.

What is the midpipe you are connecting it to? And with the system you have to play with fitment as far as how deep each pipe goes at each connection to get it perfect. It's just how it is.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Like you said 98 is when they started the new hanger style which is the ONLY difference between the later 98's and the 96 to early 98. And from what I read you can pretty much swap any exhaust from any year with only hanger modifying. So if that's the case, there's gotta be some other issue your having. Do you have removable cat's on your mid pipe? If so this may sound stupid but check to make sure it's as close as possible. Like loosen all the clamps and shift everything together and make it tighter. Also did you buy it used or is it new?

Sounds nasty tho, I love Bassani personally :)

Nightmare

Reaction score
Well first off, what mid pipe are you running, did you change out the tips them selvs, and are you running long tubes? A lot of this will have something to do with the fittment issues that you are having. The higher end exhausts (Bassani, Magnaflow, Borla) should have no fittment issues, as their multi piece design with band clamps allows you to adjust how long the piping is on either side.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Any cat back from 1979 to 2004 swaps out, all the same lengths all the same floor pan. The fox chassis is the same through 2004. Only diff is 98+ had the different straight tail hangers and the 99-04 have dual hangers on the mufflers..

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
The problem I ran into was when I swapped to long tubes my Bassani catback no longer would fit because of how they fit the tail pipes into the muffler. The Long tubes moved the catback rearward enough for the pipes and axles to have clearance issues. My new midpipe is a little shorter so maybe it would have fit better, who knows.

That aside my 2 piece Bassani catback didn't fit very well, because the whole exhaust was only 2 pieces on each side it left pretty much zero room for any adjustability. There was also fitment issues with the mufflers and over axle pipes being too close to the frame as well, it was just a poorly assembled catback.

In reality though any 98-04 catback will fit the 94-97 cars assuming you change the tailipipe hanger, i have a new edge Borla stinger catback on mine right now and it fits way better than the 94/95 Bassani catback ever did.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
The problem I ran into was when I swapped to long tubes my Bassani catback no longer would fit because of how they fit the tail pipes into the muffler. The Long tubes moved the catback rearward enough for the pipes and axles to have clearance issues. My new midpipe is a little shorter so maybe it would have fit better, who knows.

That aside my 2 piece Bassani catback didn't fit very well, because the whole exhaust was only 2 pieces on each side it left pretty much zero room for any adjustability. There was also fitment issues with the mufflers and over axle pipes being too close to the frame as well, it was just a poorly assembled catback.

In reality though any 98-04 catback will fit the 94-97 cars assuming you change the tailipipe hanger, i have a new edge Borla stinger catback on mine right now and it fits way better than the 94/95 Bassani catback ever did.

Yes where having the same problem as you. The tailpipe doesn't go on enough to the. Muffler end. There is a crimp in the pipe that stops it leaving the pipes to close on the axle.. its just all messed up. And each side is 2 pieces also so there is no adjustment unless u cut something.

I have a upr or x and bbk equal length headers.

Right now I'm leaning towards cutting the xpipe since its a pos already.

Sent via Tapatalk Mobile

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah, if you dont want to cut the catback the easiest thing would be take a couple inches out of the midpipe and you're good to go.

Tangerine96

Reaction score
+1, I agree cutting the mid pipe would be the way to go. It's much cheaper to replace if something does not go right. I know it sucks dealing with all the headaches but as you said it will be worth it.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
He cut some of the catback. Everything is being re worked. Tailpipes has new hangers. Both inlets of the muffler has been cut and reduced. Pretty much a custom bassani. System now. We think the midpipe is longer than its suppose to be. Wondering if the previous owner put a different year mid on here or something

Started at 3pm and still not done. A lot of custom fabbing and measuring.

Sent via Tapatalk Mobile

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Part of the stainless cb he cut
6erysera.jpg

Muffler connection cut and marked for new alignment. Spot welded to keep in place
uhyre5av.jpg

Stainless cut and all rewelded up
7yjave3e.jpg

a3u6y3yz.jpg

How bad the tailpipe needed new hangers
e6u3u4en.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online