98 Cobra Dyno Tuned - Finally!

jfisher

Reaction score
Had the opportunity to take the 98 Cobra down to Lee Blankenship in Shelbyville, KY for a dyno tune last week. It came down to the last minute as Lee is booked out months in advance and I had some weird issues with the car until I had some help discovering a big vacuum leak.

Car was able to muster 318whp and 325wtq WCF. It was interesting to see the hp peak at 6300rpm as I was thinking the stock 98 cams would peak a bit higher. The C heads really picked up on the top end over B heads as my tuner overlaid my graph with a graph of another 98 Cobra customer of his that had full bolt ons including LT's (I'm on Bassani Mids).

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are happy with the numbers, and if you are, then congrats to you. Drive that thing and enjoy it.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Lee Blankenship is a good dude. He goes the extra mile with tuning to ensure great drivability

OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are happy with the numbers, and if you are, then congrats to you. Drive that thing and enjoy it.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

I was expecting 300whp with the lower compression pistons, but secretly was hoping for 320whp so I am super happy with the results. The weather is finally looking better this weekend so hopefully get to enjoy it soon

OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
Lee Blankenship is a good dude. He goes the extra mile with tuning to ensure great drivability

That is exactly how I would describe him. I honestly think he spent as much time on drivability as he did with the car making power. I still have a funky idle issue with the car coming down from higher rpm, but I have a Standard Motor Products IAC on the car now and that could be causing some of the issues. I can't find a new OEM IAC anywhere.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice numbers . Just in time for nice weather to enjoy it

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score

That really sounds like my issue. My idle quality itself is fine when it's idling. The issue I have is the car wants to die if I'm hard on the brakes or if I throw it into neutral while slowing down.

My speedo is also WAY off with the 4.10's and I was reading where that could potentially be part of the issue as the car thinks it's moving at a different speed than it really is. I finally found a Dallas Mustang Speedcal and still need to get it installed.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
That really sounds like my issue. My idle quality itself is fine when it's idling. The issue I have is the car wants to die if I'm hard on the brakes or if I throw it into neutral while slowing down.
I didn't tune your car, but your issue could be that your "Dashpot parameters" weren't set up. For example, Dashpot Ramp Target RPM: This value will be added to your Base Idle RPM in Neutral to create a point where the Dashpot Decay will slow down. From this point, the engine RPM will decrease at a slower rate to give the engine a chance to stabilize before dropping to the base idle speed. The fix is to go back to the tuner.

Incorrect speedo: I doubt this is your issue, but always fix what you know isn't right and move to the next item. Fixing your speedo is easier, do that first.

I hope that makes sense, and good luck
Michael Plummer

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
I didn't tune your car, but your issue could be that your "Dashpot parameters" weren't set up. For example, Dashpot Ramp Target RPM: This value will be added to your Base Idle RPM in Neutral to create a point where the Dashpot Decay will slow down. From this point, the engine RPM will decrease at a slower rate to give the engine a chance to stabilize before dropping to the base idle speed. The fix is to go back to the tuner.

Incorrect speedo: I doubt this is your issue, but always fix what you know isn't right and move to the next item. Fixing your speedo is easier, do that first.

I hope that makes sense, and good luck
Michael Plummer

Appreciate the help! Good stuff. I was actually reading up on that today.

I will reach out to my tuner and ask. I do know that he tried to fix this issue for a solid 1.5 hrs and the car just wasn't reacting to the changes. I don't know for sure if my tuner was messing with the "dashpot parameters", but I will definitely ask. He did say he's run into this issue before and a couple cars just never reacted to any changes until the IAC was changed to an operable unit.

joe65

Reaction score
i like it. 318 whp is what close to 375 ish at the crank. good fun running street car. What gears are you running? My Mach 1 really wanted some 410s. The 355's were ok but i felt like the way it wanted to pull it just took too long to get to 4the gear.
- Just noticed your signature has the 410s in there. That thing must be fun to drive when you want to lay into it!

OP
OP
J

jfisher

Reaction score
i like it. 318 whp is what close to 375 ish at the crank. good fun running street car. What gears are you running? My Mach 1 really wanted some 410s. The 355's were ok but i felt like the way it wanted to pull it just took too long to get to 4the gear.
- Just noticed your signature has the 410s in there. That thing must be fun to drive when you want to lay into it!

Appreciate it. I have 4.10's. When I had the car dyno'd I had the stock T-45 in the car, but have since swapped in an 03 Cobra T-56 with the 2.66 first gear. I'm going to stick with the 4.10's for now as I'm going turbo this winter, but the car needs a bare minimum 4.56 gear with the T-56 if I was keeping the car in it's current NA form. With the 2.66 first it's like I went back to the stock 3.27 gearing.

joe65

Reaction score
Appreciate it. I have 4.10's. When I had the car dyno'd I had the stock T-45 in the car, but have since swapped in an 03 Cobra T-56 with the 2.66 first gear. I'm going to stick with the 4.10's for now as I'm going turbo this winter, but the car needs a bare minimum 4.56 gear with the T-56 if I was keeping the car in it's current NA form. With the 2.66 first it's like I went back to the stock 3.27 gearing.
When i first saw that you replied i was confused because this was a while back. Turbo this winter huh? Not sure you'll like that extra power. lol. Good project!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online