98 cobra

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Picked up a 98 cobra today.. This thing feels slower than my 95 when it was only HCI with 3.27...Not sure what all is done to it. so far I see bbk long tubes full exhaust not sure mufflers but its to damn loud.. Has b&m short throw that's all I can see.. Going to give it a tune up hopefully it comes to life... This thing needs shocks and struts bad too with some springs... First mod motor mustang.. Any must do thing to do first.. No gears right now tho.. It might already have some it does 2k at about 60...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
congrats! welcome to the dark side!

first thing, I'd replace the spark plugs and clean the MAF... see if you can get some life back.

id get under it and spin the driveshaft. if it doesnt have gears, get some. 3:55s at the very, very least. i suggest 4.10s.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
20121004_160644_zpsbcba1ab6.jpg

first thing im going to get a QH.. musturd are this like the 94/95 when it comes to tuning.. ill check the gear ratio tomorrow.. its going to be the DD till i can figure out the fan problem with the 95.. i ckecked the imrc they flip so they are not stuck open.. i didnt go over 4k rpm.. so maybe thats why i dont want to really push it till i changed all the basic tune up stuff..

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea man do the the tune up stuff fuel filter plugs wires etc. yea the moates Is a great self tuning system these cars you can buy hand held tuners for unlike the 94/95 cars so that's a bonus . Have you played with the moates system at all on ur 94/95 ?

BigBore96

Reaction score
Nice car. You have 3.73s. Which honestly are junk for these cars. Problem #1. You need 4.10s minimum. Although 4.30s or 4.56s would be better. 4.10s are for 2v N/A cars. 4.30s or higher for N/A 4vs. It's strange adjusting to the early 4vs. They are dogs below 3500. Although they wake up fast. And once you get the hang of it and if you gear it properly, the lack of low end is not even noticeable.

Definitely do the tune up. Do not use anything other than Ford parts for tune up. Don't buy knock off wires, don't dont buy knock off fuel filter, don't buy aftermarket coil packs, etc. Plug wise use a basic copper of your choise gapped @.054. Don't let the auto parts guy con you into buying a platinum. Waste of money.

As far as tuning, the QH is nice. But the handhelds for these are a godsend.

And yes, the IMRC's could be causing an issue. If new the to the 96-98 4v's. Look for cables behind the intake that criss cross. Rev the car and see if they move. (Even if they move it could be a problem) But it gives an idea.

Crawl under and get a picture of the exhaust. I hate a crappy sounding 4v. It's common for people to go cheapass and buy like a pypes violator catback and they are god awful.

I pretty much live, eat, and breath the mod motors. If you need any help or advice feel free to bother me about it. lol.

Nice ride though! I miss my White 98 Cobra.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Yes I tune my 95.. Or try to anyways... I might stick with the QH since I already have the software..

BigBore96

Reaction score
thanks I just was just expecting more GO.. But my 95 is boosted now so I might just expecting to much...

You just didn't rev it enough. Under 4k they aren't quick. If you put some better gear as opposed to those 3.73s it will pick up much quicker.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Missed your first post.. Yeah the exhaust looks like something done at a exhaust shop.. Hangs low too.. It has some drone inside the car.. I can't stand that.. Prob going to get a mid pipe and car back when I find a good deal.. Does the gt exhaust fit the cobra...

BigBore96

Reaction score
Missed your first post.. Yeah the exhaust looks like something done at a exhaust shop.. Hangs low too.. It has some drone inside the car.. I can't stand that.. Prob going to get a mid pipe and car back when I find a good deal.. Does the gt exhaust fit the cobra...

I've never understood why people go cheap on exhaust. A quality mid and catback makes a hell of a difference. Drone does suck. The old school style mufflers like Flowmasters pretty much all drone. Bassani's sound great and don't drone any. They get my vote. The 4v cars sound better with an X pipe, although it will be louder than an H unless you are keeping the cats.

And yes the Gt exhaust does fit the Cobra. However, you will have 1 small issue come up.
I'll break it down for you. This does not pertain to headers keep in mind. If you'd like to know that as well I'll post it up. Anyway

96-04 the mid pipes from Cobra/Mach/GT will all fit. Some have slight hanger differences under the trans. However, mine have never been hung by the trans and do not hang low. Both my X pipes are missing hangers.

the 97 and down catbacks (including 5.0s) will fit the car. However, the tailpipe hanger will have to be changed to a parallel. the 98s are the only of that body style to get the 99+ tailpipe hanger.

The 98+ catbacks from Cobras and GTs and Machs that DO NOT have IRS will bolt right up with no issues. IRS catbacks can fit with some slight mods.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
It already has long tubes.. I'll star looking for a mid pipe and cat back.. I'm low on funds now.. So it will have to wait unless I find some good deal out there. I like quiet exhaust.. Keeping cats if I find some current exhaust has none

95gtdrop

Reaction score
get 410s if you plan on a re gear. i have 373s and they arnt doing it for me. i am going to get some 410s soon. a local guy also has 430s in his cobra and he says they are the best gears for any 4v NA cobra.

BigBore96

Reaction score
get 410s if you plan on a re gear. i have 373s and they arnt doing it for me. i am going to get some 410s soon. a local guy also has 430s in his cobra and he says they are the best gears for any 4v NA cobra.

This is true. You should take your friends advice and skip the 4.10s and do 4.30s minimum.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Nah.. I'm just going to keep it that way.. If I do anything prob be boost.. But that is not anytime soon.. Going to get all the bugs worked out and use it as a DD.. Got the GT to go fast If I can get the damn fans working again..

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
another fn clean cobra! dam. you'll get the bugs out dude! congrats :)

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea no doubt. i've seen guys wanting $15,000 for these cobra's, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online