98' GT Crank/No start

amf201091

Reaction score
So I took the GT for a nice cruise the other day.. It was running fine though I've been suspecting its been a little down on power. When I went to take it for another cruise, all the car does is crank. I've pulled all the fuses (fuse box in engine bay/inside car) and nothing appears to be the issue. I then checked the shrader valve (sp?) on the fuel rail and it has fuel in the system. The fuel pump is priming. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake but it still doesn't want to turn over. The battery is clean with secure connections. I've unplugged/replugged MAF sensor. No wires appear to be unplugged anywhere... I guess maybe the distributor? Any other ideas of what it could be? I also checked the intertia switch/connector.

Benni614

Reaction score
So I took the GT for a nice cruise the other day.. It was running fine though I've been suspecting its been a little down on power. When I went to take it for another cruise, all the car does is crank. I've pulled all the fuses (fuse box in engine bay/inside car) and nothing appears to be the issue. I then checked the shrader valve (sp?) on the fuel rail and it has fuel in the system. The fuel pump is priming. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake but it still doesn't want to turn over. The battery is clean with secure connections. I've unplugged/replugged MAF sensor. No wires appear to be unplugged anywhere... I guess maybe the distributor? Any other ideas of what it could be? I also checked the intertia switch/connector.
Check for spark
That seems to b the only issue that u didn't list

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Well 98 does not have a distributor. It uses a crank trigger. There is a little more to the system than that. But check the plug on the crank trigger. If that visually looks OK then you need to check to see if the plugs are getting spark.

Jake

Benni614

Reaction score
Well 98 does not have a distributor. It uses a crank trigger. There is a little more to the system than that. But check the plug on the crank trigger. If that visually looks OK then you need to check to see if the plugs are getting spark.

Jake
Agreed check for spark pull a plug and test on block

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
amf201091

amf201091

Reaction score

Okay, so where is the plug on the crank trigger and where is the crank trigger? I'm trying to pull up pictures/videos but all I'm seeing are the coilpacks/plugs. The crank trigger appears to be a "gear" like looking thing? I'll also check the plugs for spark (take them out, re-attach to wire and see if they spark against metal part of engine bay)

Last edited:

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Okay, so where is the plug on the crank trigger and where is the crank trigger? I'm trying to pull up pictures/videos but all I'm seeing are the coilpacks/plugs. The crank trigger appears to be a "gear" like looking thing? I'll also check the plugs for spark (take them out, re-attach to wire and see if they spark against metal part of engine bay)

Forget seeing the gear or any of the workings. You would have to disassemble a portion of the front of the engine. It might be easier to see it if you jack the front of the car up. Just to the left of the harmonic balancer you will see a little black looking sensor type thing pointing at the passenger side of the car. It will be angled down and have a couple of wires hanging out of it. Just make sure its plugged in and the the wires are in good shape. If everything looks good there then chances are its fine and you can concentrate on spark at the plugs.

Jake

OP
OP
amf201091

amf201091

Reaction score
So interesting thing happened yesterday. After unplugging the plugs on the coilpacks and replugging them back in and removing a spark plug in order to test it... The car magically fired back up and ran good... Like. Real good.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
So interesting thing happened yesterday. After unplugging the plugs on the coilpacks and replugging them back in and removing a spark plug in order to test it... The car magically fired back up and ran good... Like. Real good.
Good that you got it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you had a bad connection and its great that its fixed, for now but smart money says it will be back. Next time give the connections a good tug/pull/push on the harnesses and make sure they do not move much. If you can see movement there is a problem but doing this to selected wire harnesses and then trying to start the car can help you diagnose which is your problem.

Katstang

Reaction score
Also, sometimes the security system goes nuts for some reason and it will stop the fuel pump from working so all it would do would be crank without starting, sometimes unplugging the battery for awhile will reset the car and fix the issue. Had it happin to me a few times with my 00. The alarm light will flash weirdly when this happens.

Monday

Reaction score
Cut a new key.

They code a new chip 'n everything. I got two.

GET THEM CUT AT A LOCKSMITH.

It will literally be a hundred and a half or more cheaper - DON"T GET THEM AT DEALERS!!!

imma jus sayin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online