98 GT- Project Over Due Love

zshulk56

Reaction score
477755C5-0DA9-4FF2-835D-C712273366DF.jpeg New here, I have a 98 GT that I have had since I was in high school. It is more or less stock has exhaust, CAI, and 3.73’s otherwise not much has been done to it besides that. It has sat in the driveway for about 3 years and when I parked it lots of things were starting to fail and not being used for that long didn’t help. So I have finally decided to fix her up. I’m not looking to build the engine past tuning it up at the moment just wanting to make it a smooth riding cruiser. So to begin my rebuild I have started with the suspension.

I am trying to replace/repair everything I can within reason. So I replaced the shocks, got new lowering springs, new ball joints, control arm bushings, caster camber plates, etc. I also powder coated my control arm and steering knuckle. Here’s a picture of where I am sitting currently I am waiting on some brake parts then will start tearing into the drivers side to do the same.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Nice work from another 98 GT owner. Brakes and suspension first is a great choice. Last year I decided to not track mine anymore (it was just for fun) and aim it more at a nice GT car. I switched to the Koni orange from the yellows and converted them to coilovers. Really good choice in my mind. It will ride a little sharp but the handling will be there. At least for me I don't think the car rides much different than any performance new car I have ever had set at sport. Just don't throw parts at it and only address things that you are unhappy with it and the car will reward you with a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Jake

OP
OP
Z

zshulk56

Reaction score
B1FF5502-D41C-42F4-8AC9-8783234A3F2D.jpeg 004920E8-6FAE-4045-9097-B5AC904DACEF.jpeg 0B868517-725C-44CE-9FBB-B98BD45F9918.jpeg Got my rotors today went ahead and powder coated one of them to test it out and see if I liked the look. Turned out decent. Hers some before and afters. Every time I open the oven it’s like Christmas.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Be careful powder-coating the surface the wheels bolts up against. That can cause a loose wheel, vibration or worse. That's why companies like Wilwood do a zinc or black oxide plating process instead of painting.

Jake

OP
OP
Z

zshulk56

Reaction score
I had wondered about that so I contacted the manufacturer to see if they thought that it would be an issue they didn’t seem to think so. That being said I only did one rotor perhaps I’ll strip it off and look into plating or just leaving it bare.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I would not leave it bare but the manufacture should have had the clear zinc/alodine plated when made. You might have stripped that off now with the prep for powdercoat. Its up to you. Just use caution.

Jake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online