98 GT Tranny Mount

Jnicho

Reaction score
Feeling fairly certain my drive train vibrations may be my transmission mount from the symptoms I'm getting. It looks like a 98 GT manual has a unique mount not found on other SN95's. It looks like the part is only available from FOMOCO...ie. no good aftermarket poly options. Is that true, or does anyone know any secrets without having to do major modifications. I assume the job is a simple 4 bolts like any other rear wheel drive tranny mount.

chrisv_10

Reaction score
I used a t5 urethane mount. You just have to make the holes bigger.

Sent on the toilet from my SGH-T679

chrisv_10

Reaction score
aja3ubyg.jpg

It was for a v6 t5. Idk id it's different than the v8 t5

Sent on the toilet from my SGH-T679

RabidPony

Reaction score
I know there is a direct fit urethane part. I have one one my car but don't recall the part number. I do think I had to do some minor filing on the holes. I THINK it was from Energy Suspension.

OP
OP
Jnicho

Jnicho

Reaction score
Are you guys sure these will work on a 98 GT 5speed? I can't tell what year you guys have.

The standard mount for all SN95's except 96-98 GT's with a manual tranny is like this Prothane one:

ptp-7-1604-bl_w.jpg

The mount for 96-98 GT's with manual tranny looks like this:

lrs-6068b_7244.jpg

It doesn't look like just modifying the holes would be enough to me.

All of the mounts I find that are not "offset" say this:

Will not fit 96-98 4.6L 2V manual transmission cars.

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Well you saw my picture. I made it fit. I didn't even have to notch it much. But I have yet to test it on the street. I'm certain I won't have any problems.

m5059_6467.jpg

This is a 96-98 t45 crossmember. As you can see the mounting holes are long. So you have forward and rearward adjustment. Which is why I did not have to notch the T5 mount by that much.

OP
OP
Jnicho

Jnicho

Reaction score
Well you saw my picture. I made it fit. I didn't even have to notch it much. But I have yet to test it on the street. I'm certain I won't have any problems.

Fair enough. Is that pic with the 4.6 DOHC in? From what I've seen the "standard" mount is the same on the DOHC as all other SN95's...it's the the 4.6 SOHC on those 2 years only that is different. Which holes did you make bigger?

I'm not trying to be obstinate...just trying to figure this out...I would much rather have the urethane mount if I can make it work.

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Fair enough. Is that pic with the 4.6 DOHC in? From what I've seen the "standard" mount is the same on the DOHC as all other SN95's...it's the the 4.6 SOHC on those 2 years only that is different. Which holes did you make bigger?

I'm not trying to be obstinate...just trying to figure this out...I would much rather have the urethane mount if I can make it work.

It actually is 4.6 sohc car, tranny and crossmember. I just swapped a DOHC. So it should work for you. I grinded the holes towards the front of the vehicle. I used the two bolts the mount came with then went out and bought two more matching bolts that bolt the mount to the trans.

Which years are different?? I thought 96-98 sohc trans and trans mounts were the same??

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Vermillion you can't be serious ? I used a t5 one on my 96 as well just like Chris you do have to file the holes down with new mount the bolts provided are bigger then the slots in the k member. Stock style mounts I break with in a week

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Vermillion you can't be serious ? I used a t5 one on my 96 as well just like Chris you do have to file the holes down with new mount the bolts provided are bigger then the slots in the k member. Stock style mounts I break with in a week

Are you asking me if I had to file the slots on the trans cross-member?? I didn't have to on mine, although it was a tight fit. You could file a little bit to make place the bolt through easier.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I've got them in before with out filing them down ,they pretty much thread threw the cross member

OP
OP
Jnicho

Jnicho

Reaction score
Chris my research says all transmission mounts for '79-'98 cars are the same (V6, Cobra, '79-'95 GT's, auto or manual etc.) the only exception listed is the 96-98 GT 5speed which uses the one I posted the pic of above. I assumed the studs being offset was the reason the aftermarkets supposedly won't work...but you guys are saying the only issue is the size of the bolt? And enlarging the holes in the cross member will allow it to bolt up with no other issues?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ran the mount above in both my NPI shit box's

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Chris my research says all transmission mounts for '79-'98 cars are the same (V6, Cobra, '79-'95 GT's, auto or manual etc.) the only exception listed is the 96-98 GT 5speed which uses the one I posted the pic of above. I assumed the studs being offset was the reason the aftermarkets supposedly won't work...but you guys are saying the only issue is the size of the bolt? And enlarging the holes in the cross member will allow it to bolt up with no other issues?

The reason you grind the hole bigger IS because of the offset mount

The white part is where you grind on both sides until you can fit all four bolts. You need to purchase two extra bolts with the same size thread as the studs on the factory mount. The urethane mount should come with two bolts and those are used to mount it to the cross-member.
ptp-7-1604-bl_w_zps8dcc14ad.jpg

OP
OP
Jnicho

Jnicho

Reaction score
I'm really not normally this dense, LOL! So your saying elongate this hole on both sides and it will work?

ptp-7-1604-bl_w.jpg

You beat me to it, LOL! Sorry I had so much trouble getting my head around that. Thanks for the help. I will order me a urethane mount and get it installed now. Thanks again!

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Yeah sorry you got confused. lol. It's pretty simple. I actually don't remember which side the grinded part faces. But you will easily figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online