98 Mustang HID install pics

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Before anyone jumps down my throat, no I did not put them in stock reflector housings. I've been blinded by HIDs in stock housings enough times to know that its dangerous and inconsiderate to oncoming traffic.

Anyway I got the DEPO projectors for my 98, the XenonDepot Volt kit that uses OEM style quartz glass bulbs and is one of the highest rated HID kits out there as far as quality/customer service. I also did Philips 9011 HIR bulbs for the hi-beams which are legitimately the brightest halogens you can put in a housing at 2300 lumens. All you have to do to put them in a 9005 slot is clip 3mm of plastic off the top tab and it locks right in. Fogs are going to be Nokya Hyper Yellows as yellow light is the best light for cutting through fog/rain, I just need to get around to fixing my foglight plug under the console that is shorting out and installing those bulbs which is a 30 minute job at most. I will also be installing the Depo clear/amber sidemarkers whenever they come in so they match vs the OEM ones that are in there now.

Anyway, pics.

Before with Cobra style DEPO housings:

Projectors installed:

4300k XenonDepot Volt kit. Makes the old Chinese kit that the PO had in the stock housings look like a flashlight. Cannot describe how bright these things are.

First light off:

VERY preliminary beam pics... they are badly aimed because I have not had time to properly do it yet but I'll head over to Costco after they close tonight when the parking lot will be empty and I can get a straight shot 25 ft away at a wall on level surface and get them dialed in. You can see that these projectors do provide the right cutoff and I am not going to be spraying light everywhere like you do with reflectors.

HIR Hi-Beams:

Will post more pics once I get them adjusted better. The right light needs to come down and I need to center them and make sure they are 2" below the actual projector height at 25 ft. I know an OEM retrofit would be the optimal way to do this but for $100 for these DEPO projectors its hard to go wrong price wise. I also feel good that I am going to not only be able to see MUCH better now but I did it the right way that isn't going to blind oncoming traffic.

2v_takeover

Reaction score
If I could get my DEPO's to work properly in my Canadian car I'd be sooo happy. Looks good mango.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
WOW! :)

Can you post a link to where you bought these from?

The google, she knows much. I got mine from the evilbays but they are on amazon and a bunch of other stores.

If I could get my DEPO's to work properly in my Canadian car I'd be sooo happy. Looks good mango.

Not sure why a crazy Canadian car would have different wiring. You just run the two black grounds to the two front left headlight grounds, run the hot leads to the fuse box stud, plug the blue plug into the driver's side headlight plug and then run the loom. I'm guessing you either got a bad wiring harness or you installed something wrong or one of the fuses is blown.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
How does your high beam work? Does your bulb go to high with the projector shield flipping up or does the shield just flip up and your bulbs are constantly one setting?

I have hi/lo bulbs for my HIDs so idk if they'll work.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Projectors have two bulbs per headlight, one for high another for low. It sounds like he used a HID for the low and found a nice set of non HID bulbs for the high beams.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
WOW! :)

Can you post a link to where you bought these from?

why not make your own go follow my write up. The output is even better then these.

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthrea...Projector-Retrofit-Update-2-8-boo-yah-B*tches

Www.theretrofitsource.com

can help you out with this.

Canadian cars have DRL's so maybe they are wired slightly different.

TRS

How does your high beam work? Does your bulb go to high with the projector shield flipping up or does the shield just flip up and your bulbs are constantly one setting?

I have hi/lo bulbs for my HIDs so idk if they'll work.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

hid bulbs in a bixenon projector have a flapper (shield ) that just flip to allow all of the light through.

these appear to just keep the projector in a normal setting and them the high beam comes on.

Projectors have two bulbs per headlight, one for high another for low. It sounds like he used a HID for the low and found a nice set of non HID bulbs for the high beams.

yep regular projectors you are correct. I personally like bi xenon projectors.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I prefer these projectors because I like to be able to flash the high beams if I need to. Also being 9005 housings allows for the HIR bulbs so I saw 0 point to doing the Bi-xenon. Hell, I probably would have been fine just tossing HIRs into the lo-beam housing too but the HIDs were literally $20 more soooo...

Also with TRS... I was going to go with the Morimoto kit from them until I started reading a LOT of issues with The Retrofit Source lately on HIDplanet and it wasn't just one guy. I went with XenonDepot instead of them partially for this reason. As for the actual retrofit... these lights look great and the work well so I didn't feel like spending more money and having to do a retrofit. Maybe one day. Although if I did do a retrofit it would be to these lights not stock ones.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I prefer these projectors because I like to be able to flash the high beams if I need to. Also being 9005 housings allows for the HIR bulbs so I saw 0 point to doing the Bi-xenon. Hell, I probably would have been fine just tossing HIRs into the lo-beam housing too but the HIDs were literally $20 more soooo...

Also with TRS... I was going to go with the Morimoto kit from them until I started reading a LOT of issues with The Retrofit Source lately on HIDplanet and it wasn't just one guy. I went with XenonDepot instead of them partially for this reason. As for the actual retrofit... these lights look great and the work well so I didn't feel like spending more money and having to do a retrofit. Maybe one day. Although if I did do a retrofit it would be to these lights not stock ones.

I can flash high beams just as easily. Just flip it like you normally would with a stock bulb in there. The hid bulb doesn't ever go out so therefore there isn't a on off so the wear isn't there.

You should never put HID bulbs into a halogen housing there not designed for it. That's why people have so much scatter. They were designed for a halogen bulb.

There hasn't been any issues. Every issue hasn't been the ones they got from TRS. They've been eBay projectors people got and are talking about them on HIDplanet.

tRS has an amazing customer service.

You do know TRS owns HID planet right?

I will say this my headlights will outshine yours, and a couple other people that haven't used a projector that has the quality mine does.

I understand you say yours weren't aligned but your having rainbow effect and the full lines aren't there. They didn't check the rotation on the ones in yours before putting them together. I can't get over the huge shroud of those.

Mine me have a sleeker look then those also

8931ec977519d6c1792f28f38b11a437.jpg

Inside car shot

20140208_192253.jpg

Outside looking on.

20140208_191919.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'm not saying mine are perfect. I know I did a budget but I also didn't throw a HID in a housing that is going to scatter all over the place. I understood there would be a rainbow before I bought them, I didn't want to go through the HID retrofit process. Maybe I'll have issues with the HIDs but I doubt it, if so I will get another set of 9012 HIR bulbs for the DEPO housings and call it good which maybe is what I should have done in the first place but we'll see.

And for the record, they were TRS ballasts that were having issues, documented and pics and everything, not just one dude pissed that his ebay kit didn't work. TRS is aware of the fact that there are QC issues and hopefully they are working to fix them. Go over to HIDplanet and check out the TRS section if you don't believe me.

Again, I'm not saying these are as good as a full retrofit but I'm not going to blind anyone.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
To add on to this, the XenonDepot kit is one of the highest rated and brightest ones out there. They use OEM style quartz glass/laser aligned bulbs for their "budget" Volt kit (the one I bought) and genuine OEM Philips bulbs that are rebased onto whatever socket you are running for their top end kit. This isn't some chintz DDM/VVME kit. I'm not saying its THE brightest out there but compared to the no-name HID that was in the stock housing when I bought the car, these are ridiculous. I went with XenonDepot actually after reading about all the issues that Morimots are having with the ballasts right now on recommendation from multiple ppl at HIDPlanet. I do not regret that decision one bit. And honestly if I was to go with a full HID retrofit I would buy Denso ballasts, have them potted and then run OEM Philips bulbs. Failing that I'd stick with the ballasts/bulbs I have or upgrade to the XenonDepot Xtreme kit with the genuine Philips bulbs.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What was the bulb with that headlight kit 9005 or 9006? I don't feel like going out to the garage and look.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Its both, 9005 for hi beams and 9006 for the lows so you'd need 9006 HIDs. They do come pre-loaded with genuine Philips bulbs so they are plug in and go if you are just running incandescent. And as I've been saying, a 9005 is interchangeable with a 9011 and a 9006 is with a 9012. You just have to trim the top tab on the 9011/9012 some to make them fit.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
To add on to this, the XenonDepot kit is one of the highest rated and brightest ones out there. They use OEM style quartz glass/laser aligned bulbs for their "budget" Volt kit (the one I bought) and genuine OEM Philips bulbs that are rebased onto whatever socket you are running for their top end kit. This isn't some chintz DDM/VVME kit. I'm not saying its THE brightest out there but compared to the no-name HID that was in the stock housing when I bought the car, these are ridiculous. I went with XenonDepot actually after reading about all the issues that Morimots are having with the ballasts right now on recommendation from multiple ppl at HIDPlanet. I do not regret that decision one bit. And honestly if I was to go with a full HID retrofit I would buy Denso ballasts, have them potted and then run OEM Philips bulbs. Failing that I'd stick with the ballasts/bulbs I have or upgrade to the XenonDepot Xtreme kit with the genuine Philips bulbs.

You made the decision I didn't why does it seem to me or appear like your having to validate it to yourself? If your happy that's all that matters I don't drive your car.

I drive my own and I know my headlights are brighter then yours. Does that make me a better person? Of course not. This is the route I chose. I know my stuff is quality and I've never even had a smidge of doubt that weren't going to perform flawlessly. Everything that seems them can't believe how crisp, bright, amazing quality of a product.

So to each there own. I was sharing my opinion. I've been contacted and done a few sets already for people. Planning a fox setup right now for my friend actually and I will continue using Morimoto stuff.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'm not trying to validate myself, just explaining my thought process. Is that validating myself, maybe...? I'll have to get better pics this weekend. I know the TRS projectors and retrofit KITS are great, I just got scared off by their ballasts and the wiring issues ppl are having. It might have been a bad batch, I dunno. I also was able to get my kit on sale for $85 vs the prices of their Xtreme or the Morimoto stuff so call me a cheap bastard. And yes I am happy with it and if, for some reason, I don't like the way it turns out with night driving I will put 9012s in place of the HIDs. I already plan to put a stock Philips 9006 bulb in one housing after I get them all aimed and just compare how the beam goes. At least I'm not using Silverstars lol.

I'm not saying mine are in the same universe as yours btw, hell I might even PM you about doing a true retrofit one day if you are staring it up as a side thing. I baked open my old DEPOs already in case I ever decide to. Honestly they pretty much just fell apart, I have a feeling they may have been baked open before and never properly sealed back up...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Let's get back to headlights here. We kind of got off track with my dad can beat up your dad but there is some good and helpful information here so lets not ruin the thread.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its both, 9005 for hi beams and 9006 for the lows so you'd need 9006 HIDs. They do come pre-loaded with genuine Philips bulbs so they are plug in and go if you are just running incandescent. And as I've been saying, a 9005 is interchangeable with a 9011 and a 9006 is with a 9012. You just have to trim the top tab on the 9011/9012 some to make them fit.
Thanks I need to order some hids for the projector and couldn't remember which one is the low beam.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
My dad could get very angry at someone else's dad and maybe get one or two rage punches in... maybe... lol. Just be aware that not all HIDs are created equal. You often get bulbs in the wrong color kelvin rating or weak ballasts or bases that don't seat right etc...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've been rocking a cheap 4300k hid kit for @ 7 years with no issues so I will just order a VVM or similar kit for cheap and be happy. I don't drive the car all that much so I don't want to spend extra on hid's. If it was still my DD I would probably get a retro but cheap will do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online