98 tailpipes

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
has anyone used 94-97 tail pipes on a 98? the hangers are a different orientation and i was wondering if either there are any tailpipes out there made for a 98(couldn't find any) or how you went about mounting them. thanks!

BigBore96

Reaction score
It's a pretty easy change to the hanger. I've swapped my 98 bassani tailpipes to fit my 96 with the same mod just in reverse.

99+ SRA tails will bolt directly in if you can find em.

OP
OP
belber095

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
would you mind tellin me how you went about it? did you just bend the hangars or what?

BigBore96

Reaction score
I cut the old hanger off. Bolted the tailpipes on to measure the needed exact location of the hanger and also the height it needed to be. (Just in case) Marked it. Removed tailpipes. Then welded a hanger of the appropriate size to the location. Then of course I cleaned up and repolished the tips real good and threw them on.

Bending the hanger might work. Except the 98+ hangers on the tails I've scene are shorter than the -97 hangers. So it might fit really snug to the bumper. This is why I opted to replace the hanger completely.

What exhaust setup are you looking to run? Some of the catbacks avail work with either style hanger as they have a removable hanger design.

OP
OP
belber095

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
I cut the old hanger off. Bolted the tailpipes on to measure the needed exact location of the hanger and also the height it needed to be. (Just in case) Marked it. Removed tailpipes. Then welded a hanger of the appropriate size to the location. Then of course I cleaned up and repolished the tips real good and threw them on.

Bending the hanger might work. Except the 98+ hangers on the tails I've scene are shorter than the -97 hangers. So it might fit really snug to the bumper. This is why I opted to replace the hanger completely.

What exhaust setup are you looking to run? Some of the catbacks avail work with either style hanger as they have a removable hanger design.
i'm getting a mac o/r h pipe and flowmaster 44's. i'm trying to find 3'' tails but i can only find 2.5's

BigBore96

Reaction score
Are you wanting a full 3 in tailpipe or like a 2.5 inch tailpipe with a 3in tip?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah the hangers are totally different, I put 98+ tailpipes on my car but I'm not sure how you'd go about putting the old style hangers on the newer cars; i can't picture how they'd mount.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Generally it's easier to find 2.5 in tails with 3+ inch tips. I'd keep you eye on the classified sections unless you want to buy new. In that case, you can buy any 86+ tailpipes (including the full 3 inch flowmaster tailpipes) with the hanger modification needed. Otherwise it's a fit.

Another pretty cheap option is the American Thunder catback from American Muscle specifically for the 98.

OP
OP
belber095

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
Generally it's easier to find 2.5 in tails with 3+ inch tips. I'd keep you eye on the classified sections unless you want to buy new. In that case, you can buy any 86+ tailpipes (including the full 3 inch flowmaster tailpipes) with the hanger modification needed. Otherwise it's a fit.

Another pretty cheap option is the American Thunder catback from American Muscle specifically for the 98.
yeah i was originally gonna use the american thunder package but then i realized it'd be cheaper to buy the mufflers separate from the tails. i might just say screw it and get them though.

BigBore96

Reaction score
True, but fitment wise a prefitted kit will fit better. 100%. Not to mention being bolt in design. Once you buy mufflers + tailpipes + weld them in (mod to fit) you are not saving much at all. Especially if you pay a shop.

The mac system they have from AM I'm a bigger fan than the flowmaster stuff. Being it's more bolt in and has 3.5 tips as opposed to the 2.5 polished tail (no true tip)

American thunder direct bolt up is 432.
The MAC is 366.

OP
OP
belber095

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
i'm hoping to clamp my exhaust cause i'll have to swap my stock exhaust in when it comes time for inspection.

and damn those look nice! have any experience with mac mufflers vs flows?

BigBore96

Reaction score
Yeah in that case, better go ahead and get a complete kit. the seperate tailpipes are generally mean to be welded on.

If you do decide to get a kit. I highly suggest the mac kit instead of the american thunder. They sound so much alike especially when paired with an o/r H and is a nicer kit imo.

OP
OP
belber095

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah in that case, better go ahead and get a complete kit. the seperate tailpipes are generally mean to be welded on.

If you do decide to get a kit. I highly suggest the mac kit instead of the american thunder. They sound so much alike especially when paired with an o/r H and is a nicer kit imo.
i guess i'll be running a full mac system then :p