98 V6 power door lock

MikeyB

Reaction score
Hey guys I have two issues to talk about, one is my passenger door lock.. If I use the drivers side door lock button it locks the drivers side door and you can hear the noise in the passenger door like it wants to lock but it doesn't and same with the passenger side button.. I took the door panel off and looked inside, when I hit the unlock button it pushes up a little bit, but not enough to unlock the door and then it makes a noise like its not getting enough power to move. I don't know whats wrong with it.

Second issue, when I pull my drivers side door handle it doesn't open the door until the very very last inch and I really have to yank it up, how do I adjust that?

Also when I put my hazards on, the right directional light doesnt light up with the left one on the dash, it also doesnt work when I put just my right turn signal on.. Its probably just the bulb right?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
M

MikeyB

Reaction score
And I don't start the car everyday so when I come out my battery is always drained, but when I charge it and I'm sitting in the car the theft light on my dash flashes.. I use the key to unlock the drivers door and the passenger door is locked manually. I have no key fob, I don't know if thats whats killing my battery or if its even working properly..

SVTstang96

Reaction score
The door actuator sounds like its weak or not getting enough power. Charge the battery properly and drive it for a while then try it, that should get enough juice to check it. if it acts the same the actuator is bad.

The driver door handle: inside or oustide one?

Turn signal light not working: thats a bulb thats bad.

OP
OP
M

MikeyB

Reaction score
The door actuator sounds like its weak or not getting enough power. Charge the battery properly and drive it for a while then try it, that should get enough juice to check it. if it acts the same the actuator is bad.

The driver door handle: inside or oustide one?

Turn signal light not working: thats a bulb thats bad.

okay then its the actuator and the outside door handle

SVTstang96

Reaction score
If its the outside door handle like you say check the striker plate on the door jamb. Watch the door close when you close the door and make sure the door doesnt move up or down when you get to the striker. What it sounds like is the striker is in the wrong position and needs to be adjusted. Simply loosen the bolts a little bit so it holds itself there but can be moved with little pressure. Then close the door to set the correct position of the striker, open the door and tighten the bolts.

OP
OP
M

MikeyB

Reaction score
Like even if the door is open or closed I can shake the handle cause there is so much slack in it

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Like even if the door is open or closed I can shake the handle cause there is so much slack in it

Oh thats another issue, theres a rod that connects the door handle to the lock mechanism. The rod is threaded on the mechanism side and will need to be adjusted then. There are 2 ways to do this,

1- Remove Door Panel
2- Locate Rod Inside of Door
3a-Remove outside door handle, disconnect rod from handle, and spin rod to adjust it. Should be counterclockwise to tighten it.
3b-Find the lower end of the rod, look for a yellow clip holding the rod to the mechanism, pull back on the tab, the tab should tip away from the rod, remove rod, install rod lower then previously
4- Install everything back the way it was

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Actuators will normally start to make a grinding/whining noise when they start to go bad or go bad. The might move a little like you described but the gears inside get chewed up.

It could be a bulb that is bad but I have also found the hazard switch can build dust up around it that is pushed down into the switch when its turned on. Try turning the hazards on/off 5-6 times and see if it cleans it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online