98 v6 radio not working

07GtS197

Reaction score
So in the past couple of years, I havent really driven this car but Id like to track down the issue with the radio. It used to have an aftermarket radio but it would get staticy every once in a while for a couple seconds or so. Then it stopped working all together so I bought a stock radio off another member on ModdedMustangs and he alleged that it worked. I believe him. Now this radio is sort of working. It only picks up one channel and it will faintly play something if you turn the volume all the way up. I can post a video tomorrow if anyone would like it. But just from the description, does anyone think they might know what it could be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Sounds like the antenna connection is bad if stations are your only problem. If not a ground.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hmm you may be right. Is there any way of testing the antenna? It just has me stumped since it was with multiple head units and over a period of time. Also Im running the stock head unit but no cd player, could that be contributing to this?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said the reception issues normally point to the antenna. Not many people know there is a connection behind the glove box that can be disconnected. Open/drop the glove box and you will see the thicker ant wire and the connection towards the firewall and make sure its connected. If it isn't the only way to really test an antenna is to get another one and plug it in to see if it fixes it. You don't need it mounted when we did it in the shop we would just take what ever we had on the shelf and cut the bottom corner of the bag so the connector could snake out to connect to the radio. Plug it in and if the reception clears up, you have a bad antenna.

The soft sound now that is probably because the previous owner bypassed the mach system. Were the two harnesses you plugged into the radio the same general size only grey/black or was one maybe 1" square?

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
as he said the reception issues normally point to the antenna. Not many people know there is a connection behind the glove box that can be disconnected. Open/drop the glove box and you will see the thicker ant wire and the connection towards the firewall and make sure its connected. If it isn't the only way to really test an antenna is to get another one and plug it in to see if it fixes it. You don't need it mounted when we did it in the shop we would just take what ever we had on the shelf and cut the bottom corner of the bag so the connector could snake out to connect to the radio. Plug it in and if the reception clears up, you have a bad antenna.

The soft sound now that is probably because the previous owner bypassed the mach system. Were the two harnesses you plugged into the radio the same general size only grey/black or was one maybe 1" square?
Its always had an aftermarket radio so Im gonna venture to say its bypassed. I took a look at the antenna wiring and the connector that plugs into the back of the radio is broken. Of course I forgot to take pics but if u guys stick around I will take pics later and post them up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there was about 5-6 different ways to integrate a deck into the mach system. When you pull the deck out next time take a pic of the harnesses you plugged into it and check down in the hole and see how many other harnesses are down there not connected.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/hecq5rHj604[/video]

i cant figure out how to post pis from my iphone but this is what I have so far.

as far as things not plugged in its just the black, black and red, and gray connector that arent plugged in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.