9838stang's Money Pit Pony

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am afraid they way they mount with the straps, and with as close to the body as it is are that you are going to have an issue getting it in that last little bit

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Got off work early on Monday and decided to tackle the tank. Can't believe how hard someone the EVAP and vapor lines were to disconnect and the quick disconnect spots lol. Got all 5 disconnected, and the fuel line and dropped the tank. Used some wd40 to get the filler neck out of the tank. Was a pain to take it off, but not an issue to put it back on. Inspected the filler neck grommet for tears and didn't see any. Got the tank positioned and hooked all of the lines and hoses. Ran into a slight hiccup though. On 99-04 GT cars there is a vapor line on the front side( near axle), it location slightly off center toward driver side. The 03/04 cobra vapor stuff mounts at the far left corner. About 7 inches away. Had enough "slack" to connect it but I'll either try to find a Cobra vapor hose or cut mine and put a barb fitting and some extra hose to length it.

IMG_20190414_191756517.jpg IMG_20190415_182645827.jpg

IMG_20190414_191756517.jpg IMG_20190415_182645827.jpg received_413031405940453.jpeg

No issues so far. Need the roads to dry up and get cleaned off so I can try it

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well hurry up and drive! We want to know how it is! Luckily you managed to sort it out, despite UPS not helping you out

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Nothing new to report really only that I was able to take the car out this weekend and get into the swing of things again. Was able to go wot and do some launches with it. The car didn't hiccup a beat and was strong. I know I wouldn't feel any power difference going to the 03/04 cobra tank just there for piece of mind when I do swap the Eaton into my car.

Only issue I've came across when swapping tanks, I basically have a 2000 gt ( 98 shell but everything is a 2000 gt bolted to or hanging on the 98) and only one of the fuel vapor lines became an issue.

The vapor line I'm talking about is the one on the front side of the tank near the middle but closer to the driver side. On the cobra tank, it's actually on the corner of the tank. So had to stretch the existing on to make sure it all works. It's about 1/4" from the upper control arms. But it does still flex some. So, the seller I bought the tank from has the cobra vapor line from an 03/04 cobra that's wrecked. And we will see if that fixes that small issue other wise I'll just stick a barb on either end and run a piece of vacuum line to connect them

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Went to the gas station and actually filled the tank to the completely full mark. After that I went to test the car out and see how the full trim looked and how the duty cycle went

At idle

IMG_20190425_211326338.jpg

Cruising at 68mph
IMG_20190427_133211650.jpg

And at wot fuel trims were at 1.00-1.01
Fp duty cycle went to 0.34 was pretty happy with how it went. Took it home after a couple of runs. And when I got home I smelt gas.... Looked underneath and saw it dripping from the tank area, but from the front of it.

Ended up dropping the tank thinking the nipple from hat might have been bent. But nope, it was coming from the hat seal area. Tried tightening the hat but no success. So tried to let it gas out but that didn't work well. Caught 1 gallon in jugs and gas can. And the rest on the floor. Figure I lost 1.5 gallons on the floor. I had enough and threw it back together and left it outside to drip dry and drove it the next couple of day so I could but gas out.

Well I was finally able to look and see what was causing the leak. When I had the tank completely out I I tried to pop the dent out with a 2x2 and a mallet. Well I didn't see I bent the lip of the tank

IMG_20190428_144926853.jpg

Bent the lip back and went for a test drive and noticed the gas gauge stuck on full... Considering it was at 1/4 tank. Went for a 30 minute drive and nothing changed. Brought it home, jack it back up and looked again. I broke my repair job on the float. Too the float off the cobra sending unit and compared it to my GT one. They are identical and was going to swap it all over but notice the circuit boards had different number. So I just robbed the part that holds the float in place. And now it reads perfect!

IMG_20190428_192758736.jpg

But now I gotta wait for the rain to pass before I test to see if the tank is sealed lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190428_161537610.jpg
    IMG_20190428_161537610.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 9

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I remember when I had the 94 I bought a black wingless trunk off someone and they shipped it the same exact way.. Blows my mind how people think that just a few layers of bubble wrap will prevent shipping damage to something so big and heavy. I luckily was able to get the seller to refund me in full but the shipping company had nothing nice to say about the situation.
Car is coming along great! I spent some time catching up on your thread and I am impressed my friends! Has come a long way.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I remember when I had the 94 I bought a black wingless trunk off someone and they shipped it the same exact way.. Blows my mind how people think that just a few layers of bubble wrap will prevent shipping damage to something so big and heavy. I luckily was able to get the seller to refund me in full but the shipping company had nothing nice to say about the situation.
Car is coming along great! I spent some time catching up on your thread and I am impressed my friends! Has come a long way.

I had a wingless trunk lid sent almost the exact same way. Almost as in it didn't have anything wrapped around it. just the shipping label directly on the lid itself. Thank goodness the UPS and FedEx here are somewhat decent with handling packages.

Yella95Gt

Reaction score
I want a torktech kit so bad but sounds like so much work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I want a torktech kit so bad but sounds like so much work

Depends on what year car you have. 99-04 the kit bolts on with a little grinding on the block to clear an intercooler hose. 96-98 you'll need to do the pi head swap first.

99-00 you'll need a crank pulley

99 cars you'll need a new filler neck or cap off a hose from the filler neck and the plug a hole on the 99 tank.

Procharger is probably the easiest type of supercharger to install. But that's my opinion

I personally like the look of a roots style blower.

The hardest part for me is fork out the cash for the tork tech kit lol next would be to find someone to tune it lol

Yella95Gt

Reaction score
Yeah the pro charger would be much easier but it doesn’t have the same whine and just the look overall. But that may be the route I end up going

laramik

Reaction score
Got off work early on Monday and decided to tackle the tank. Can't believe how hard someone the EVAP and vapor lines were to disconnect and the quick disconnect spots lol. Got all 5 disconnected, and the fuel line and dropped the tank. Used some wd40 to get the filler neck out of the tank. Was a pain to take it off, but not an issue to put it back on. Inspected the filler neck grommet for tears and didn't see any. Got the tank positioned and hooked all of the lines and hoses. Ran into a slight hiccup though. On 99-04 GT cars there is a vapor line on the front side( near axle), it location slightly off center toward driver side. The 03/04 cobra vapor stuff mounts at the far left corner. About 7 inches away. Had enough "slack" to connect it but I'll either try to find a Cobra vapor hose or cut mine and put a barb fitting and some extra hose to length it.

View attachment 1152 View attachment 1153

View attachment 1152 View attachment 1153 View attachment 1154

No issues so far. Need the roads to dry up and get cleaned off so I can try it
I had a HORRIBLE time removing quick connects when doing a timing job on a friend's 5.4. in fact I'd say we spent a couple hours messing with them and bought 3 separate quick disconnect tools. Then saw a video on YouTube where a guy used a hose clamp and just snipped off the screw. Wrapped it around and pushed it up into the quick connect and it was like actual magic. Couldn't believe it worked so well. Seems like Ford has quick connects that require a really thin tool that is thinner than others and I can tell you the hose clamp trick was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Got home and decided to test fit the heat exchanger with the cobra bumper. Worked out pretty well. Looks small in the sn95 cobra opening. But it's taller than I expected.IMG_20190506_095541901.jpg

Cleaned up the Eaton a bit

IMG_20190505_185116236.jpg

And I don't think my install is gunna work so well hahahaha
IMG_20190505_221414362.jpg

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Well, while on FB, I found a couple of parts on a Cobra parts group. Ask what the seller wanted for them and was outraged buy how much he wanted for 03/04 cobra throttle and cruise cable. So I went on a hunt and found out the local ford near me has the 03/04 throttle cable 2R3Z-9A758-AA for 48.00
And the cruise cable 2R3Z-9A825-AA
for 50 new in packaging and a used cable bracket 2R3Z-9728-BA for 50

Also went to find the intercooler bolts as well. The Ford near me how ever wanted 12.39 per bolt. So I ended up just finding a pack for 10 bolts for $10.00s-l400 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Screenshot_20190512-194049.png

laramik

Reaction score
In all the forums I've been a part of over the years, I have NEVER seen a cooler build thread. Over the course of 5 years, and by the looks of it a couple years were covered in just the first few posts so it probably goes back further, we have watched this guy go from young buck who just got his license with a v6 pony, to a married man with one of the coolest mustang builds out there. And basically did all this himself! I mean paint, interior, wiring, body... Wow[emoji2962] This is so far beyond impressive. I really hope you keep that car and pass it on to your children. This is one of the best stories I've ever read and a total inspiration for anyone out there looking to do the same. So cool, you should be very, VERY proud of yourself.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online