9838stang's Money Pit Pony

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I love love those j&m lower control arms I was afraid that they would give to much noise but I don't notice any difference over stock for noise. But the car feels so much more planted on the ground.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
For the longest time (4 years or more) I have been looking at, and loving the way the cobra brake caliper bracket in the rear looks in the rear. I love how the two ends that hold the slide pins connect on the outside. I thought the v6/gt look wasn't finished and looked bad. Well i bought the 13" baer upgrade kit and it just started to make the caliper more visible and made it more of an eye sore to my eyes. So i went did some research online and found some answers but not everything i wanted to know.

The answers i found were about the calipers from v6 mustang, to GT mustang, to the Cobra on the rear are all the same. How ever the cobra brake pad, is different compared to the v6/gt. The cobra pads are thinner and the cobra rotors were larger compared v6/gt in the rear. This concerned me because i thought the cobra caliper bracket would be taller to accommodate the larger rotor. But there happens to be a larger mounting plate that bolts to the axle housing behind the axle. That is where the caliper bracket mounts to.

After finding that out, i decided to check out the caliper bracket out myself.

From what i found out from above i decide to go look for myself in the parts store. I put the v6/gt bracket next to the cobra one and looked pretty hard at the two items. in the store. After looking them both over, the best i could do is eye ball the two because i do not own a caliper tool lol. But the things i did find out after eye balling the two brackets

The Distance between the slide pins are the same (given since the calipers are all the same).

The distance between the slide pin and the hole where the bolt goes through on the caliper bracket. This meant to me the brackets were in fact the same height and it was indeed the two could be interchangeable.

Lastly the distance between both bolt holes were the same. Great news! This mean the brackets were even more simular.

As i bought the one bracket I found out the dust cover for the slide pins were smaller than the gt/v6 ones

I forgot to bring a bolt with me to see if the thread pitch was the same but i checked when i got home. The new bracket that helps adapted the 13" rotors used their own special longer bolts. But same thread pitch, So i had the stock bolts left over. And good news

So now i wait for the weather to get a little warmer aswell as wait for the other bracket to come in so i can add both of these at the same time.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Well today was a gorgeous day, and i decided that i would put on my rear cobra caliper brackets on the car.

Moment of truth. I wasnt 100% on the fitment and spacing on the two bolt hole on the caliper bracket so i thought heck we will try it any ways.

Stock rear caliper, stock bracket, 13" baer rotors,

old vs new

Well it fits

I tried to reuse my factory rear sliders, and caliper bolts but one of the other bolts had other ideas:

I then reassembled everything and started on the other side:

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I have been looking into doing an LED swap to my projectors ever since i saw people were installing LED kits onto their factory style 9007 bulb size housings. Since i did the H1 system i have been looking into keeping my HID harness and adapting that to the led system since i would rather not cut up my factory harness nor would i like to cut up the HID harness in case this will not work. So far my plan, is ordering the extension harness going from the HID harness to the ballasts. I am going to use the female plug off the extension harness to plug into the HID harness. Reason being, the H1 led system will come with the same connectors like the aftermarket fog lights or lighting system and will us male ends to them. So i will be slicing and soldering the new plug onto the led harness and plugging that into the hid harness for power supply and ease of connection the H1 system to the 9007 system.

So the extension ill be using minus the male end

and pretty much what i will be getting rid off and leaving the hid harness intact

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I got my h1 led system finally. Came all they way from China, and had gotten lost in transit. Was found and then was put on hold a week. Finally got the system.

Opened it up and looked pretty good

Went home to make my own harness, but cutting the female plug from the 9005 harness I ordered. I got that connection made up and when to test fit the h1 led into the projector...

Well the led was too big for the projector. So I tried shaving down the head of the projector to see how it will look. Turns out after shaving the head of the led, the led still wouldn't go into the projector housing. The led bulbs wouldn't physically go into the projector house, They were just to big.

the HID bulb in the picture is an H3, but is short. the glass is the same diameter.

So I ripped the headlight apart and shaved the projector down a bit and finally got the led bulb, in place.

Moment of truth.

After getting the harness fed back and placed where I wanted it, I turned the led light on...

The HID bulb was 2 times brighter than the the led... I thought it might just be the hit spot in the middle of the projector. So I turn the fog lights on in comparison. The fog lights were even brighter.

So I pulled the car out Into the alley. I turn both head lights on and placed covers over them. I couldn't see 100 ft with the led system...

bluex

Reaction score
Bummer man, A for effort though. I have all the stuff to do projectors just waiting on a day off. I blame your write up because you made it look so easy.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
After seeing the lights had a low lumen output, i contacted the seller. I told him that the lights were not very bright or not as bright as my hid's, approximately half a brights. They appologized and sent out their new version which is brighter. I should have them hopefully this afternoon. but not sure when ill have time to install them.

In the mean time, these are pictures i took a few weeks ago and already posted in another thread i created. So nothing new just posting where the car is at.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Holy crap!!!!!!!!!

They came they came!!!

They look pretty dn good. A little better than the others.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Ok, I got the lights in and tried them out. They look pretty damn bright.
Excuse the glare, as you can see it is raining and the wet ground gives off a bad glare.

Headlights only

foglights only (HIDS) 4300k

both on

High beam and foglights

My Niterider 750 bicycle light

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
After a night on the town on snapping some new shots. I heard the nutorious clunk after hitting a bump. Since i have done the cobra brake swap to my car, i have put 4 or 5 sets of pads on this car. All of them were the 35.99 pads from oreilly auto parts. I have noticed the 4th time putting the pads in why they kept braking. the pads from oreillys were not stamp tight enough and would allow for play. I check the last set i had before i put them in and they seemed tight. But when i snapped them into the calipers, the driver side broke. I took them out and had them warranties one last time. I put 200 miles on them and i heard and saw this as i was out snapping some shot last night

It looks like on the the plates that hold the springs on the pad to the caliper chipped the caliper

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
While getting ready for an All Ford Car Show at the Apple Valley Ford dealership, I figured i would give my door panels and dash another coating of the Armor All. Last year and the year before that i would use the same stuff on my interior. Well, while applying the Armor All whips to the interior, the door panels on the top turn white.:eek:

I spent 2 hours clean other tops of the panels trying to get the white to go away, and after using this stuff, it came out looking better and i used some meguiars interior shine to make it look some what better

After the show i went home to finished cleaning the interior. I used the same stuff above, on the alcantara on the cobra seats. And this stuff on the leather vinyl and some plastics on the inside... This stuff works great!!!!!

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
For a while i have had this creaking noise in the front end for a while now and recently it had gotten to me because the other night i heard it echo off a brick wall. I thought no way it cant be that bad.

I stood over the engine bay and tried pushing the car up and down, but heard nothing. I also tried to shimmy the car back left to right and finally heard the noise. It was coming from the passenger side; sounding more like the Caster Camber plate. Well i pulled the shock out, only to notice i had to take the bump steer kit out and the caliper off, and the sway bar off two. I pulled the the plate off and the bumper steer out. re greased everything and put it all back together...

Also pulled the front ISOs out to see how much lower it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online