98gt ,different fuel rails and fuel pump?

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
I was looking on the corral forum and some people were saying that if you want to supercharge the 98's you have to get 96-97 fuels rails and there might me an issue with the replacement fuel pump fitting. what's the deal? thanks

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
the 98 has a returnless fuel system......that must pose some kind of problem :dunno:

97vertstang

Reaction score
didnt the supercharger companies make a solution for that????

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 98 is a Bastard in between year, some have the systems from the 96-97 and a couple have the 99 up system but i believe they are all still return systems. As far as the fuel pumps go they do require alittle modification when using a Walbro for 96-97 BUT VORTECH makes a high flow 255lph pump just for 98's that requires no modification. Not quite sure of the fuel rail...does it have something to do with the shrader valve?

smokinya9

Reaction score
im looking to change my fuel rails too its because the fuel pressure regulator is made on tho the fuel rail and no way to increase the fuel pressure if you change them to 96-97 you can put on an adj fuel regulator and run a higher fuel pressure to get more fuel from the injectors thats what i was told my 98 has a return fuel system i hope that helps

purple96

Reaction score
in 98 the had returnless and return.....just depends on when during the modle year ur car was made

9psi 98

Reaction score
I have a return style fuel system on mine. I did have to install fuel rails from a 96 stang in order to run an adjustable regulator though. 98 definitely was the year that Ford got rid of some extra parts. How many others have a drivers side oil fill like me?

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
I have a return style fuel system on mine. I did have to install fuel rails from a 96 stang in order to run an adjustable regulator though. 98 definitely was the year that Ford got rid of some extra parts. How many others have a drivers side oil fill like me?

+1 to drivers side fill. but we have the exact same car, except yours isn't outrageous

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
98's had the fuel pressure regulator built into the fuel rail as opposed to the bolt on ones of the 96/97 (as mentioned above)
96-98's had return style fuel system (also as noted above), and 99+ had returnless style systems.

98's had a return style system with the addition of a variable voltage pump. 96/97 pumps all ran at a continuous 12 volts, and the fuel delivery was determined by they FPR. on 98, we got a fuel pump that changed voltage depending on how much gas the car needed. if the pump only needed to pump 50% of its max pumping capacity, it would only work at 6volts. this is how the 99+ pumps work, and ours is very similar to the 99+ pumps. what makes our cars the bastard year is that we have both the return style systems of the 96/97 cars and the fuel pumps off the returnless systems of the 99+ cars.

(and +1 to the drivers side fill cap)

KB98GT

Reaction score
One more thing to add to this is the 98's have a bucket and pump set up in the tank so when super cahrging you run the risk of draining the bucket at WOT some guys pull the bucket and drill holes in it to pull from the tank as the pump pulls from the bucket and then the bucket pulls from the tank..when drilling holes in the bucket you have to keep your tank full or more than half a tank ..the easy thing to do is swap tanks from a 97 as they dont have the bucket system ...hope this helps!!

ohh and this is someting that a lot of guys dont think of when supercaharging the 98's!!

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
98gt said:
One more thing to add to this is the 98's have a bucket and pump set up in the tank so when super cahrging you run the risk of draining the bucket at WOT some guys pull the bucket and drill holes in it to pull from the tank as the pump pulls from the bucket and then the bucket pulls from the tank..when drilling holes in the bucket you have to keep your tank full or more than half a tank ..the easy thing to do is swap tanks from a 97 as they dont have the bucket system ...hope this helps!!

ohh and this is someting that a lot of guys dont think of when supercaharging the 98's!!

never even thought about that :thumb:...

9psi 98

Reaction score
+1 to drivers side fill. but we have the exact same car, except yours isn't outrageous
[/quote]

:hammer: I love sarcastic compliments!!
the pile of parts I have for it sitting in the corner of my spare bedroom is going to make it that much more insane.

I don't know what's going on in my fuel tank except for a 255lph pump. I got the tank bucket along with a bunch of other parts when I bought the car.

GDawg

Reaction score
Get a Kenne Bell. They give you everything you need including new fuel rails and a "Boost a Pump" for the fuel pump.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Mustangman9812 said:
GDawg said:
Get a Kenne Bell. They give you everything you need including new fuel rails and a "Boost a Pump" for the fuel pump.

Bad thing is cant get a NPI Kenne Bell Anymore :<

thats easy to fix. either get some PI heads on there and get a smaller pulley, or port the intake ports on the NPI heads to match the PI gaskets and ur set. all you need is a dremel, some time, and a steedy hand.

Mustangman9812

Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
Mustangman9812 said:
GDawg said:

thats easy to fix. either get some PI heads on there and get a smaller pulley, or port the intake ports on the NPI heads to match the PI gaskets and ur set. all you need is a dremel, some time, and a steedy hand.

Or PI Intake Adapters From HPS for $95.00 :dunno:

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Mustangman9812 said:
reivaxtorres said:
Mustangman9812 said:
GDawg said:

Or PI Intake Adapters From HPS for $95.00 :dunno:

yeah, except those the manifold by an inch or so....and the KB will have to sit about an inch or so higher and i dunno if the hood will clear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online