99-04 Headrest question - please weigh in!

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hey All - in need of some quick clarification on the headrest options for the 99-04's.

From what I've found 99% of all GT's had the small headrest like this:
49015603.jpg

And there is a 1% of GT models that got a larger headrest like the Cobra, Bullitts, and Mach 1's - like this:
Was this a special option? Did the owner have to opt for the larger headrest or did certain models receive them automatically from the factory??
2004_ford_mustang_gt_premium-pic-8493868249599780081.jpeg

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I do believe the 40th, cobra, mach and Bullitt all came with them. Don't quite me on the 40th but the rest of them did. I think they were a special models only kinda deal

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

chris91

Reaction score
That car has the IUP (interior upgrade package) Not sure if the headrests are part of that or not.

OP
OP
gate keeper

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Talked to the good'ol boys over at Latemodel Restoration and he came back w/ the same response. The IUP would warrant a headrest upgrade, good to know!

Thanks gents.

OP
OP
gate keeper

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
the reason this came up, is our 99-04 GT Upholstery Kits come with the Small GT headrest, not the IUP headrest covers.
If you have an IUP package and are changing your upholstery, you'll need to purchase the headrest covers separately.

Just a lil'FYI

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
One other thing, your headrest covers SUCK to install, the current small ones like in the first pic. I had to cut a good 2" along one seam where it would be hidden by the backing plate and even then it was dicey. This was with using a plastic bag and a lot of 4 letter words btw.