99-04 Mustang transmission swap

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got the 308 out of the 99 Mustang and im thinking of ditching the 4R70W for an non electronic transmission. I really would like a C4 but it seems as if alot of modifycation is needed to do that particular transmission. Im also interested in the TH350 or 400 and wonder what all is needed to do that and how it works with the B&M hammer shifter im using now as I would like to keep it if possible. How would a Powerglide work on the street and would it be worth it and what all is needed. I would like for someone who has done this or helped do this a time or two to chime in if possible im only human and I dont know everything unfortunately and would like to know if this is a good idea to do or not and how much money and work will be involved in the process. Please respond with answers to the following

1. Drive shaft length difference

2. Any clearance issues

3. What kind of flywheel

4. Torque Converter

5. Bell housing bolt length difference

6. Dipstick location a problem

7. Any serious cutting or welding

8. What kind of crossmember or brackets etc

Thank you so much for viewing and I appreciate and respect all responses ! God bless !

ster302

Reaction score
I had a C4 in my 94 for a short time but didn't get to drive it much. How much power are you making? C4's need quite a bit of upgrading with higher power levels, I highly recommend 6 gear planetary and upgraded input. No major modifications, I used the stock driveshaft, it seemed to go in far enough on the trans with out a flange spacer. I added a 1/4 thick piece of flat steel to the crossmember to attach the mount, but I think 99's have a different crossmember then 94-98's. Your shifter should still be able to work, mine came out of a 94 using the stock shifter and cable. They made large and small bellhousing C4's for small blocks and IIRC the converters are different for each. Also, they made them with dipstick tubes that went into the case or the pan. The balance on your 308 (28 or 50 oz)will dictate what flex plate to use. Can't help you much with TH350/400.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I'm not sure what varies between the 94 model and 99 underneath I would imagine it's different stuff seeing as it's a new body design . I'm not looking to buy a TCI performance transmission just one out of a production car as I know it will hold up just fine I was running a 550 hp 351 Cleveland on my old C4 just fine . I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or not really would like some input from someone who has done it in a 99-04 style .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online