99-04 wire tucking questions and experiences

Thomas_W

Reaction score
So i got bored today and started tearing down the 99 for a wire tuck. im not looking to go crazy with it at the moment, just clean up under the hood for now.

My goals:
Fuse box locates in the stock or near stock location
minimal wiring under the frame rails (i need to keep it clear for the eventual turbos)
all factory stuff (ABS, washed tank, etc) retaines.

I was able to get a good bit of the pre-tuck work done, im currently trying to figure out how to route the driver side harness that runs between the radiator and the core support. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

The only way i have figured out how to get it across and in the same location is to run it back through the headlight holes then back to where it was before. I dont like this as its very tight against the edge of the sheetmetal and will likely be cut from vibration in time.

Pictures:

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Hood latch cable can be re run in the inner fender also i found the pasenger side to be the easiest to wire tuck havent gotten to the drivers side lol

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I dont even have a hood latch, so the cable and release handle will probably come out. Im thinking of putting the msd launch control box where the release handle is

f8l gt

Reaction score
I have some experience

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Since no one has ever really taken the time to do a tuck how-to, i figured i would start one.

If you dont know how to get to the point im at now. I wouldnt suggest trying a wire tuck. Its not easy and requires a good bit of experience and drinking... I mean Thinking.

First tasks today, remove the bottom cover from the fuse box and remove all the convoluted tubing from the harness starting from about mid fender all the way up to where the harness runs across the car at the fender.
Then place the fuse box back into place with the wires oriented how you want them to come out:

Then start separating the wires at the "Y" so that you have a large group that run pretty slack and about 7 wires that are pretty taught.

You can see the sevenish wires (they were pretty obvious of being to short) that need extending. Disclaimer! You shouldnt have to extend these wires if you relocate the fuse box to the inside of the fender. That said, i was tires of screwing with it (5hrs in at this point) and wanted to get done. Disclaimer #2- please DO NOT butt splice the wire extensions, take the time to solder and heatshrink the connections, it will save you alot of hassle in the future:

Then go about extending the wires one at a time. I added 16" of length to each wire, in actuality, 12-14" would have been sufficient:

i also relocated the horns to slightly infront of and above the drivers tire. I did this to open up some extra space for wiring and future mods:

Now it is just a matter of routing the wirs how you want them. One you have them routed, go down he harness and tightly wrap the wires together every 6-10". Then reinstall the convoluted tubing (i used 3/4", but 1" would of been easier) and rewrap the entire harness in electrical tape. You could skip the convoluted tubing, but i like to make things look factory as much as possible. Its the OCD side of me i guess.

All of the underhood grounds on the driver side were attached to the bolt location that originally held the factory battery tray. Just on the inside of the fender. Be sure to sand away the paint for a good ground (sorry, no photo)

Here is the inner fender after the tuck. I mean to install the power steering reservoir mount in this area, but forgot and didnt realize it till after the fender was back on. Oh well. Yes, it needs a good degreasing and cleaning, that will be coming once i get the upper AN radiator hoses re-routed and the new CAI done.

Here is the inside of the fender after the tuck showing the relocated horns as well:

Total time invested is about 10hrs at this, nearly half of it staring wondering how to do it. The passenger side will come later... Potentially next weekend weather and molding allowing.

f8l gt

Reaction score
There is a wire tuck manual available done by Grant Holland

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
There is a wire tuck manual available done by Grant Holland

Yeap... Paid last night, still havent gotten it. Im impatient and like to give back to the community, so heres my rendition. Im interestes to see how they did the passenger side as i started to do it, but with abs and everything, i dont see how it works. My ABS light is on anyways, so when the Tubular front suspension goes on, I'll probably end up deleting that big box and bending new lines anyways.

f8l gt

Reaction score
Yeap... Paid last night, still havent gotten it. Im impatient and like to give back to the community, so heres my rendition. Im interestes to see how they did the passenger side as i started to do it, but with abs and everything, i dont see how it works. My ABS light is on anyways, so when the Tubular front suspension goes on, I'll probably end up deleting that big box and bending new lines anyways.
What's your email, I can send it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online