99 cobra vs my 98 cobra

VertTireSmoke

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
0
Well a buddy of mine just bought a white 99 cobra. It has a MAC catback exhaust, short shifter, 3.55 gears, solid-axle swap, and a cold air intake. I know he'll kill me on the interstate. I was wondering tho who would come out on top in the 1/4. I have O/R h-pipe, flowmaster cat-back, JLT intake, 4.30 gears, steeda short throw, a forged crank. I think im gonna get it tuned and dynoed before it goes to the track again. Im just wondering where i stand.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
7
VertTireSmoke said:
Well a buddy of mine just bought a white 99 cobra. It has a MAC catback exhaust, short shifter, 3.55 gears, solid-axle swap, and a cold air intake. I know he'll kill me on the interstate. I was wondering tho who would come out on top in the 1/4. I have O/R h-pipe, flowmaster cat-back, JLT intake, 4.30 gears, steeda short throw, a forged crank. I think im gonna get it tuned and dynoed before it goes to the track again. Im just wondering where i stand.

You will do pretty damn good I think, I dont know WHY IN THE HELL they put 3:55's in that 99 but that was a HUGE mistake :nonono: anyway he only has catback and a coldair kit so hes not making any big power. Proball only around 280-285rwhp MAX and with your mods having that mid pipe you are probally pretty close to him, even more so if his car has not had the "fix". The gears are the BIG factor here, you have 4:30's and that is murder to his 3:55's I would venture to say that with great driving on your part that you could take him in the quarter mile :) even at his best I dont think he would get you by more than a bumper :-\ the 99s are not that much better than you 98 model.
 
OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
VertTireSmoke said:
Well a buddy of mine just bought a white 99 cobra. It has a MAC catback exhaust, short shifter, 3.55 gears, solid-axle swap, and a cold air intake. I know he'll kill me on the interstate. I was wondering tho who would come out on top in the 1/4. I have O/R h-pipe, flowmaster cat-back, JLT intake, 4.30 gears, steeda short throw, a forged crank. I think im gonna get it tuned and dynoed before it goes to the track again. Im just wondering where i stand.

You will do pretty damn good I think, I dont know WHY IN THE HELL they put 3:55's in that 99 but that was a HUGE mistake :nonono: anyway he only has catback and a coldair kit so hes not making any big power. Proball only around 280-285rwhp MAX and with your mods having that mid pipe you are probally pretty close to him, even more so if his car has not had the "fix". The gears are the BIG factor here, you have 4:30's and that is murder to his 3:55's I would venture to say that with great driving on your part that you could take him in the quarter mile :) even at his best I dont think he would get you by more than a bumper :-\ the 99s are not that much better than you 98 model.
Awesome. I was hoping the my gearing would take him down. >:D We are pretty sure that it has had "the fix" done. He raced a friend of ours in his Mach 1 and managed to keep up with him pretty well. I think the 3.55's were put in because the guy who had it before him originally intended it to be for the road course.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
7
So you guys dont know for SURE that its had the fix :-\ if it were my car I would do some investigating to make sure it had it. Call the local Ford service dept and do a VIN check on it, take it to the nearest dyno and get some numbers on it too. Thats what I did with mine the week after I got it :).

Anyway your right about those gears, I think in this case they are going to cost him the win :boink:
 
S

scarface

Guest
just look on the intake manifold for a green or red dot near the corners at the alternator...that will tell if the fix is done.
Foster98GT said:
Whats "THE FIX"? Excuse my "LOK"(Lack Of Knowledge)
the 99s didnt make the power they were claiming, so ford had to fix the manifolds so they would.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
7
Foster98GT said:
Whats "THE FIX"? Excuse my "LOK"(Lack Of Knowledge)

Like David said its the intake, but also exhaust problems and something to do with the cpu i think. Do a search on the net and you will fiind what the recalls were for and the correction for them.
 

97gtconv.

Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
my buddy had the same mods as you on his 98 cobra plus aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, and on 275 nitto's he was running 13.0's and he put down 266rwhp...i think it's going to be a real good race.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
7
97gtconv. said:
my buddy had the same mods as you on his 98 cobra plus aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, and on 275 nitto's he was running 13.0's and he put down 266rwhp...i think it's going to be a real good race.


I have not been back to the dyno with mine since my STOCK dyno of 272rwhp, but with other cars with the same mods they are around 300-310rwhp. My best is a 12.48 on DR's of course I have 4:30 gears too
 

GTPowered4.6L

New Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Well to update this topic I am one of Matt's friends (Verttiresmoke). He beat his buddy Lance in the 1/4. Matt ran 13.7's and the guy in the white cobra ran 14.1's I think. I ran 12.8 in my 99 Cobra last week with midpipe, catback, 410's, shifter, JLT, and DR's. I was full weight with me weighing 250 lbs lol. My car put down 303/301 on the dyno so I am sure mine has the fix.Here is a few vids of me. Sorry the quality sucks but you get the point. I couldnt hook worth crap on this day. I normally get 1.6's and was only getting 1.75's on this day. I jsut bought a brand new set of MT ET Streets.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=m5Bkfk9w0cw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEavZYOIBSM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y_X3K8_1ks8
 
OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
0
lol. Damn eddy way to bring a thread back from the dead. :hammer: So whats going on this weekend man?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
77,196
Messages
1,494,695
Members
14,727
Latest member
socalsmith

Members online

Top