99 gt 2v cam swap

zxd5298

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My gt is in need of some new cams but i cant find any oe cams. does anyone have any sugguestions on what cams i can use? Now i live in Ca so i need something to still get me by smog also i would like to find something that i do not need a tune for. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Snorky

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My gt is in need of some new cams but i cant find any oe cams. does anyone have any sugguestions on what cams i can use? Now i live in Ca so i need something to still get me by smog also i would like to find something that i do not need a tune for. Thanks for the help
I passed NJ smog with comp 262s with bassani highflow catted x pipe. It is a mellow camshaft with enough lope to know something is different. creates power all under the curve. As a generic off the shelf I'm a fan.

OP
OP
Z

zxd5298

Reaction score
I passed NJ smog with comp 262s with bassani highflow catted x pipe. It is a mellow camshaft with enough lope to know something is different. creates power all under the curve. As a generic off the shelf I'm a fan.
oh sweet did u have to do a tune with my those cam? And did you have to change springs or anything

Snorky

Reaction score
oh sweet did u have to do a tune with my those cam? And did you have to change springs or anything
It started and drove without a tune, but a tune is always advisable. I did not need valve springs, but if you want to rev it wayy out. I would do the springs to avoid valve float risk. Does california inspection use obd2 testing or the exhaust tip sniffer? That could make pr break it

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Snorky is right, the comp262 is a great cam upgrade. However, You need to be on your game when installing them. Its crucial to properly degree them. If i recall correctly and snorky can correct me, but the comp 262 is about as big of a cam you can go with out interference. Piston to valve clearance becomes minimal and a simple straight up cam swap wont do. Any bigger performing cam will require piston valve clearance, meaning internal engine work.

Lunati has a great low lift cam perfect for what you are trying to achieve and im guessing at a beginner level swap. Currently priced at nearly $100 less than the comps. The description claim upgraded springs required, but youll be fine with the stock ones. Can be found over at modmax performance.

What i would not do....pay someone an extra $$$ for their supposed "special grind" cams. If you want special grind cams, simply pick the desired intake duration you want and request a tighter lobe seperation angle. Nearly all "special grinds" are pulled from off the shelf and the exhaust lobe is reground to a tighter lobe seperation angle.

Snorky

Reaction score
Snorky is right, the comp262 is a great cam upgrade. However, You need to be on your game when installing them. Its crucial to properly degree them. If i recall correctly and snorky can correct me, but the comp 262 is about as big of a cam you can go with out interference. Piston to valve clearance becomes minimal and a simple straight up cam swap wont do. Any bigger performing cam will require piston valve clearance, meaning internal engine work.

Lunati has a great low lift cam perfect for what you are trying to achieve and im guessing at a beginner level swap. Currently priced at nearly $100 less than the comps. The description claim upgraded springs required, but youll be fine with the stock ones. Can be found over at modmax performance.

What i would not do....pay someone an extra $$$ for their supposed "special grind" cams. If you want special grind cams, simply pick the desired intake duration you want and request a tighter lobe seperation angle. Nearly all "special grinds" are pulled from off the shelf and the exhaust lobe is reground to a tighter lobe seperation angle.
Lol you can just say their name, lol Voldemort!

Last edited:

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
It started and drove without a tune, but a tune is always advisable. I did not need valve springs, but if you want to rev it wayy out. I would do the springs to avoid valve float risk. Does california inspection use obd2 testing or the exhaust tip sniffer? That could make pr break it
Smog Check inspections for 2000 and newer model year vehicles are now primarily based on an inspection of the OBD II system; tailpipe testing is no longer required. 1996 through 1999 model year gasoline vehicles receive both an OBD inspection and tailpipe testing. Because it's Kommiefornia (I'm also behind enemy lines in CA) you can expect there to be some exceptions based on where you live.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online