A/C clutch and belt shredding

Mr.Eman

Reaction score
So I swapped out my A/C clutch this past weekend. The kit came with a new pulley, clutch, and shims. Everything came apart easily and went together well. I had to take the clutch out several times to set the air gap.

ran the car in the driveway for 20 minutes or so with no issues. Took the car on a short shake down drive and the new belt detonated.

if the gap were off could this cause the belt issue? Could the new pulley be slightly off? I still have the old one and I swap out the bearing. The only thing in the kit that was different was the retaining bolt stock was 8mm and the new one was 10 mm ( same thread). The new one looked a little longer 1 or 2 threads.

any ideas? I'd rather not do trial and error with serpentine belts

thanks

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Air gap shouldnt effect you belt, just the gap between the clutch and the pulley. That being said, have you gotten someone in the car to rev it while you watch the belt? Or maybe mount a go pro under the hood and watch the belt come apart? Double check all your idlers and make sure your tensioner is good with no bearings going bad.

OP
OP
Mr.Eman

Mr.Eman

Reaction score
I ordered a new tensioner when I ordered the new belt. The car is 13 yrs old it won't hurt to change it

I wonder if the pulley didn't seat as well as I thought it was a bear coming off and going on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online