A/C Not Getting Cold.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
My A\C isn't getting cold. Have any of you guys installed you own refrigerant? Im talking about the R-134 kind that you get from from autozone. Can someone shed some light on this for me....Thanks.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
1st of all, STAY away from autozone!! O'Reilly's or advanced is better.

Go to the parts store and buy the R134 hose kit with the gauge on it...... 7-10 bucks.
Crank up your car put the a/c on high, put the hose/gauge on the low-side fitting. ( pass. side rear by dryer)
The gauge will tell you if your low or not.
Don't over fill R134, or it will blow out hot air.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
What he said. I work at advance and we have a bunch of the R134 stuff and one system with the gauge on it (thats the one you want). Let us know how it goes.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
What he said. I work at advance and we have a bunch of the R134 stuff and one system with the gauge on it (thats the one you want). Let us know how it goes.

LOL, and I work at O'Relly's

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I hope to get this done tomorrow. Driving a Black Car With Black Leather isn't easy here in Georgia during the summer.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not only will over filling/under filling cause it to not cool properly it will set it off on high/low pressure and if cars dont have that it will ruin the compressor over time. make sure you fill it properly.

your seal (i forget the name) prob dried up and leaked the guys at a autoparts store that sell refrigrative supplies for vehicles would know what im talking about.

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
I Just noticed today when my A/C is on the thing at the bottom of the motor that has the belt going around it, i believe its the Compressor. Its turning for about 3 seconds and stopping and turning again. Anyone know what might be the prob?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah thats the compressor, it might be shutting off on saftey I bet you dont have a charge in there any more but im not too sure what u mean by stopping and turning 3 seconds?

ALITL8

Reaction score
turn it off and get it recharged... it doesnt cost that much to have someone do it for you.

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Yeah that's the compressor, it might be shutting off on safety I bet you dint have a charge in there any more but I'm not too sure what u mean by stopping and turning 3 seconds?

OK, as your looking at the compressor. you see the belt turning around the front of the compressor. Theres a metal plate that sits in front of the area where the belt is turning. this metal plate turns for 2 to 3 seconds, stops and starts again. I can hear the engine idle down every time that plate turns...Sorry for me Piss Poor explanation.

Does anyone have a pic of where the refrigerant goes? Just to make sure I'm right.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Thats normal for it to do that, it means it works. I'll get you a pic in a sec.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
mustang08.jpg

Get a bottle with the gauge on it at advance or where ever you go. Turn the car on, put a/c to max, let it run for a few secs, connect the hose with the gauge and R-134A to the spout in the pic (take the black cap off it obviously) and see where your level is at. You want it to be in the blue range, depending on which brand bottle you buy. Cost is like $20-30 for the stuff. If it is low and after you start filling it, it leaks out, you can check for the leak with a uv/black light and we sell an r134a additive to help you find where its seeping out of.

badass98svt

Reaction score
i gotta get some of that stuff. my a/c only works when it wants to

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
mustang08.jpg

Get a bottle with the gauge on it at advance or where ever you go. Turn the car on, put a/c to max, let it run for a few secs, connect the hose with the gauge and R-134A to the spout in the pic (take the black cap off it obviously) and see where your level is at. You want it to be in the blue range, depending on which brand bottle you buy. Cost is like $20-30 for the stuff. If it is low and after you start filling it, it leaks out, you can check for the leak with a uv/black light and we sell an r134a additive to help you find where its seeping out of.

Thanks for the pic. That's where i put the R134 in. Its still not getting cold. Also when i attached the hose the gauge was in the bottom of the blue area. I put a very small amount in.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Foster98GT said:
I Just noticed today when my A/C is on the thing at the bottom of the motor that has the belt going around it, i believe its the Compressor. Its turning for about 3 seconds and stopping and turning again. Anyone know what might be the prob?

Thats normal, just the clutch cycling.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Does it blow colder the faster you go, like on the freeway?

Could be the compressor going out. The compressor has small pistons, alot of times you get blow-by ( loss of pressure) and it won't blow cold at low RPM's. Thats a common problem on R4's...gm crap.

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:
Does it blow colder the faster you go, like on the freeway?

Could be the compressor going out. The compressor has small pistons, alot of times you get blow-by ( loss of pressure) and it won't blow cold at low RPM's. Thats a common problem on R4's...gm crap.

Nope, it never blows cold.

jpajkos

Reaction score
Before buying a new compressor make sure you check all your vacuum lines. In the back by the fire wall chase and look at every since line. If there is a cracked or a hole in one hose that will definantly be a problem. I was going through this in my 96 GT. I thought it needed to be recharged so i did it. Come to find out it never got cold so I BOUGHT the recharge kit with the red dye in it to detect a leak in a line. Sure enough I saw red dye coming out of the house back by the firewall and it cost me a pocket wrenching 85 cents for a new vacum hose. Listen to your car if you here air coming from somewhere sorta like a hissing sound check your lines. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Before buying a new compressor make sure you check all your vacuum lines. In the back by the fire wall chase and look at every since line. If there is a cracked or a hole in one hose that will definantly be a problem. I was going through this in my 96 GT. I thought it needed to be recharged so i did it. Come to find out it never got cold so I BOUGHT the recharge kit with the red dye in it to detect a leak in a line. Sure enough I saw red dye coming out of the house back by the firewall and it cost me a pocket wrenching 85 cents for a new vacum hose. Listen to your car if you here air coming from somewhere sorta like a hissing sound check your lines. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info..I'll check tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online