A/C on, car surges

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
My old a/c compressor would kick on and off intermittently and would blow cold when it worked, would not work at all during the long phases where it wouldn't kick on. Figured I had a compressor issue. Theoretically, with it's behaviors, it made sense. So my buddy gave me his a/c compressor off his 04 gt that he said worked when he pulled it off, he went racecar and deleted it.

I had already had my system drained since last year when I replaced the heater core. So it took me about 15min to change the compressors out. Put new o-rings on it and lubed them up. Went to add freon to it and the gauge started down in the blue and jumped up to the end of the red in record time. Made zero sense to me because it says it takes 2lbs to fill it and I had a little 12oz can that was already almost empty. Finished it off and threw on the other 12oz can I had sitting there and it wouldn't fill. It's acting as tho it's overcharged? I have no clue. But anyways the clutch isn't engaging and the compressor isn't spinning. When I turn a/c on it starts surging and you hear a timed delay of clicking coming from the cycling switch area. When I unplug the compressor with the a/c running the idle smooths out. Plug it back in it surges. Compressor isn't cycling. Could it be the cycling switch? No idea on this one I don't frequently service a/c systems

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a low pressure sw in the line tha prevents the compressor from coming on if the freon is low.
You'll need to jumper that Sw to get the comp to kick on so it will take the freon.
You should also vacuum down the system before adding the freon.