a few nitrous questions

95PGTTech

Reaction score
we have a leftover dry NOS nitrous kit (5115 I believe is the old part number) from the Probe that we only ran once or twice a long, long, long time ago but stored well. at the time, I was new to nitrous and only used it because I got it really cheap and the turbo we selected was far, far too large for our use and we couldn't spool it off the line. I hooked it up exactly like the instructions said and thought nothing of it since.

Until now. the slobra is in desperate need of some giddyupidness and we're both eyeing the bottle, the gauges, and the wideband sitting next to it and drooling since we are trying to go fast and save for a house. however, dry shots are gay. so:

1) I've done a lot of custom brake line flaring and bending on custom cars and restoration projects and I'm looking at the direct port kits and the wet-to-dry conversion kits. we're probably going to start with a 40 wet shot and step it up to 100 or 125, so i got the part list that we need for the conversion and I've started picking a few things up. the hard lines look really good on the direct port kits and apparently can flow upwards of 250 shots. so can I (rather than using the flexible stainless steel AN lines), use stainless hard lines with appropriate fittings? I will still leave the bottle --> nitrous solenoid as the flexible, but I think the others would look really good in stainless hard line, no?

2) the hard lines are sold with compression fittings...are you kidding me? can't I just double flare them and use 3/16" line fittings, compression fittings are gay and dangerous.

3) I was going to start the kit with a MSD window switch and a WOT microswitch. if we upgrade to a progressive controller in the future, that negates the need for the window switch, correct?

Thanks for any help offered,
Chris + Julia

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
1) I'm assuming you're only using one nozzle? Hard lines will work fine, but I don't really see the point. Make sure your solenoids are fastened to the motor to or those hard lines will be constantly bending and flexing.

2) Just use a braided nylon line and you don't have to worry abou it.

3) Yes.

OP
OP

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Yeah, we were going to mount the solenoids to the firewall and then realized hey...the engine moves...

I was asking because the shortest nitrous/fuel lines sold are 2 feet it seems. The longest line we need other than the flexible nitrous line from the bottle is no more than 6 inches, the excess line is going to look pretty bad. I don't see any reason other than cool looks to use a distribution block and more than one nozzle.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
You can buy braided stainless teflon hose in bulk, along with the ends, and make your own lines to whatever length you want. Plus I know that you can get lengths shorter than two feet because the parts store in Phoenix where I get my stuff sells them.

OP
OP

95PGTTech

Reaction score
thanks bro, I'm looking into bulk teflon hose online now :dancing6:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Beware, I'm a gold-medalist-turned-pro at making braided lines, and I HATE making teflon ones. They suck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online