A little clarification on Nhra regulations with nitrous please

GT3FC

Reaction score
I have my roll bar, my helmet I know that I will need a sfi rated jacket and maybe gloves. My problem is I don't know what the sfi rating of my jacket needs to be in order to run with nitrous. Anyone who can help me out here? Also if there are any Nhra regulations that relate to nitrous please let me know.

RichV

Reaction score
SFI 3.2A/1 should be all you need. Some tracks have funky additional rules, so I'd find out before you buy. IIRC at my local tracks, if you run a non OEM power adder, you need the jacket. If you run 13.99 or quicker, you need a helmet. Snell rating of some sort, M rated helmets may be allowed but check with the track. They may have a FAQ on their website on vehicle tech and personal safety.

Also, be sure your nitrous bottle has a current DOT stamp on it. If it's new you should be fine. I had to have min re-certified to run. Bottle brackets were allowed to be plastic at one time, they need to be steel. Lastly, check rules on bottle blow down tubes. In a hatchback Fox they need to be vented outside the vehicle, but if you have a real trunk, you may not need to. I would do it anyway, for safety.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
SFI 3.2A/1 should be all you need. Some tracks have funky additional rules, so I'd find out before you buy. IIRC at my local tracks, if you run a non OEM power adder, you need the jacket. If you run 13.99 or quicker, you need a helmet. Snell rating of some sort, M rated helmets may be allowed but check with the track. They may have a FAQ on their website on vehicle tech and personal safety.

Also, be sure your nitrous bottle has a current DOT stamp on it. If it's new you should be fine. I had to have min re-certified to run. Bottle brackets were allowed to be plastic at one time, they need to be steel. Lastly, check rules on bottle blow down tubes. In a hatchback Fox they need to be vented outside the vehicle, but if you have a real trunk, you may not need to. I would do it anyway, for safety.
thanks for the info, I drive a vert so I need a roll bar at 13.99 I aslo need a helmet to just run. I have both of those. I thought it was 3.2a/1 but I could not find any info in the regulations actually stating that for use with nitrous or any aftermarket power adder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Staff online

Members online