A little slow to start

dnkapcorydnk

Reaction score
Well guys i got my rear suspension worked out, the sway bar did indeed break, into three pieces Lil damn Houston pot-holes.... Anyways just getting to a couple other little projects here... I need to clean my icv, check tps voltage, do my timing, and clean my maf sensor. My car is a little ruff idling especially when cold, and it takes like 3-4 seconds of cranking to start when i dont touch the accelerator. I have already changed my temperature sending unitand fuel filter and it helped. Actually when i changed my temp. sending unit it made it worse (the signal being sent to the computer told it to rich the mixture) but its a hell of alot better with the wix fuel filter. Anyways can u guys think of anything else to get that idle and cold start better. Also i need new ball joint and tie rod ends, has anyone done this before. One of my friends did his and the damn jackstand BROKE IN-HALF and nearly killed him. I got a quote for $550 from the shop my whole family goes to for parts and labour, does this sound fair? I need to get this done so i can get my performance alignment to my lovely g-force dont get eaten up :laugh: they are aw some tires BTW. Thanks for the information replys would be great

note* I checked my battery and even tough it is expired it still holds 12v off and 14.2 running so it and my alternator are doing pretty good!

Downshift

Reaction score
Take it from someone who learned the hard way luckily the damage was nothing compared to what it could have been but get those ball joints changed asap. What I did was just buy ford racing from lower control arms get both of them for 160 shipeed from summit and the bushings are 50% stiffer and the ball joints are supposedly low friction ones so that will be better as for the tie rod end I dont know but cant be too hard to do. Good luck with the stang!

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
maybe your fuel pump is starting to go...that will make it crank longer. did you see how much psi your getting through your fuel rail while cranking?

d_punch

Reaction score
i had a similar problem, and i t turn out to be my pump. the pump wasn't per say bad, but it won't hold pressure after sitting for a bit, so when i would try and start it, it didn't have any pressure in the line. hence the hard start.

try this: before you crank your engine, just turn your key to start. you should hear a whine thats your pump priming. after a few seconds or once you don't hear the whine, then crank the engine. it should start right up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online