A lot of questions.. idle/boost/power

TheBab

Reaction score
First off let's start off with car and mods..

1998 Cobra with the following on it...

- Engine - Engine was bored 0.030 over, Manley H-beams, DSS blower pistons with 8.5-1 compression.
- Vortech S-Trim Supercharger w/ 3.33 pulley
- 24" x 12 " x 3 Polished front mount intercooler
- 42lbs. injectors with a lightning 90mm Mass air meter
- Walboro 255 fuel pump with T-rex pump
- Flowmaster mufflers
- Bassani X-pipe
- FRPP shroty ceramic coated headers

I have a few questions ....

Boost Question

It was seeing 10 psi before the intercooler install....I installed the intercooler during the winter so I couldn't go test it out... but all my clamps are tightened down damn good so I'm 99% sure theres no leaks..... all I am seeing is 5 psi at 6,000 rpms... I knew I was going to lose some boost but 5 lbs of boost? Any ideas on what this could be besides intercooler? Anything I should check?

Idle Question

When I turn the car on.. it idles high for a second.. but then drops back down to about 1000 rpms... it wont go below that... Shouldn't it be lower? Is there a way to set it?

Then when I am driving around.... and I come to a stop... put the car in neutral... or even in gear... at a complete stop and clutch all the way in... the car will idle at like almost 2K rpms... for like 10 seconds or so... then drop back to normal idle (well my normal idle of 1k) .... what could cause this?

RPMs question

I bought the car with the vortech and tuning done already.... I got the charts.. but the dyno was shut down at 6k rpms when it redlines at roughly 6800 or so... If I try to take it above 6k it falls on its face... I'm not sure why this is... my only thought was I am pegging the maf? Any clues?

Yes, I know A LOT of questions... but I just want to make sure I can get this car running great... I appreciate any help or answers.

Thanks,

Fros97GT

Reaction score
I dont know what would be different on the Cobra....might want to ck for vac leaks
Also my idle hangs on GT...I havent gotten around to mine yet, but everybody tells me its a dirty or bad PCV valve causing idle hang

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TheBab said:

- Engine - Engine was bored 0.030 over, Manley H-beams, DSS blower pistons with 8.5-1 compression.
- Flowmaster mufflers
- Bassani X-pipe

Boost Question

It was seeing 10 psi before the intercooler install....I installed the intercooler during the winter so I couldn't go test it out... but all my clamps are tightened down damn good so I'm 99% sure theres no leaks..... all I am seeing is 5 psi at 6,000 rpms... I knew I was going to lose some boost but 5 lbs of boost? Any ideas on what this could be besides intercooler? Anything I should check?

Depending on what brand intercooler it is, it could be the intercooler. I have heard of some "ebay" intercoolers loosing 3+ psi on cars b/c they are so restrictive, especially if its a tube and fin style (radiator basically) compared to the bar and plate versions. Also, is there any head porting done? If so this will also cause a drop in boost pressure b/c the motor is more efficient. Boost is basically a measurement of airflow restriction

Idle Question

When I turn the car on.. it idles high for a second.. but then drops back down to about 1000 rpms... it wont go below that... Shouldn't it be lower? Is there a way to set it?

Then when I am driving around.... and I come to a stop... put the car in neutral... or even in gear... at a complete stop and clutch all the way in... the car will idle at like almost 2K rpms... for like 10 seconds or so... then drop back to normal idle (well my normal idle of 1k) .... what could cause this?

Mine does the EXACT same thing. I've come to accept this as normal for now since i am untuned. With a proper tune, it shouldn't hang for so long i suppose.

RPMs question

I bought the car with the vortech and tuning done already.... I got the charts.. but the dyno was shut down at 6k rpms when it redlines at roughly 6800 or so... If I try to take it above 6k it falls on its face... I'm not sure why this is... my only thought was I am pegging the maf? Any clues?

Yes, I know A LOT of questions... but I just want to make sure I can get this car running great... I appreciate any help or answers.

Thanks,

If they didn't take the car above 6k rpm's there's a reason for it. You probably aren't pegging the maf, as if you are, the car acts like it is hitting the rev limiter and just wont rev any higher.

My guess is, its not getting enough fuel above 6k rpm's and thats why it falls on its face.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:

- Flowmaster mufflers
- Bassani X-pipe

Boost Question

Depending on what brand intercooler it is, it could be the intercooler. I have heard of some "ebay" intercoolers loosing 3+ psi on cars b/c they are so restrictive, especially if its a tube and fin style (radiator basically) compared to the bar and plate versions. Also, is there any head porting done? If so this will also cause a drop in boost pressure b/c the motor is more efficient. Boost is basically a measurement of airflow restriction

Idle Question

Mine does the EXACT same thing. I've come to accept this as normal for now since i am untuned. With a proper tune, it shouldn't hang for so long i suppose.

RPMs question

Thanks,

If they didn't take the car above 6k rpm's there's a reason for it. You probably aren't pegging the maf, as if you are, the car acts like it is hitting the rev limiter and just wont rev any higher.

My guess is, its not getting enough fuel above 6k rpm's and thats why it falls on its face.

It is in fact a SSAutoChrome intercooler........

It's suppose to be a bar and plate...

Thomas_W

Reaction score
i've heard of some SSautochrome's being complete crap before. I've also seen some IC's advertised as Bar and plate and actually be tube and fin.

Bypass the IC w/ a piece of the correct size tubing and see if you get the same boost pressure back. If you do, its the IC, if not.. then its something else, possibly a boost leak in a weld, coupler or bypass valve.

S

scarface

MIne did the same Idle problem when the IAC was connected to the Pressure pipe (after supercharger). I move the hose down to the power pipe (pre-supercharger) and idle issues went away.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
i've heard of some SSautochrome's being complete crap before. I've also seen some IC's advertised as Bar and plate and actually be tube and fin.

Bypass the IC w/ a piece of the correct size tubing and see if you get the same boost pressure back. If you do, its the IC, if not.. then its something else, possibly a boost leak in a weld, coupler or bypass valve.

Rog, I have a feeling when I bypass the FMIC my boost issues will be fine... in which case... I'll have to sell the FMIC and buy a better one. :slap:\

Thanks for the help guys....

ripper

Reaction score
My car had the same idle rpm issues as yours. It was all fixed in the tune. We took 35% off the IAC in the tune and it idles perfect and falls right off when you let off the gas. Your boost problem i have no idea but sounds to me like Tom is right. If it changed after the IC install than thats probubly what did it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar