A question about lowering springs and shocks

delling3

Reaction score
So, in the time I have been around this place, it seems like a lot of the info contained in the threads in this forum are by now pretty dated. I guess a lot of folks have moved on from these cars, and they aren't as popular to mod these days as they once were.

I am looking at lowering my '96. When I bought the car, it needed shocks. I had a complete set of OE replacement (Monroe) dampers installed. That was about 3000 miles ago. Now I decide to lower it, and have picked up a set of BBK springs. But spending some time on the MM tech-pages, they warn against putting lowering a car with stock dampers - indicating that the OE parts aren't up to the challenge, and that the car will handle worse with stock dampers and higher rate springs.

Surely someone must be able to comment on their experience? Do I have to wait until the $ is available to replace a new set of shocks and struts too?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, in the time I have been around this place, it seems like a lot of the info contained in the threads in this forum are by now pretty dated. I guess a lot of folks have moved on from these cars, and they aren't as popular to mod these days as they once were.

I am looking at lowering my '96. When I bought the car, it needed shocks. I had a complete set of OE replacement (Monroe) dampers installed. That was about 3000 miles ago. Now I decide to lower it, and have picked up a set of BBK springs. But spending some time on the MM tech-pages, they warn against putting lowering a car with stock dampers - indicating that the OE parts aren't up to the challenge, and that the car will handle worse with stock dampers and higher rate springs.

Surely someone must be able to comment on their experience? Do I have to wait until the $ is available to replace a new set of shocks and struts too?

Can you do the springs with stock shocks and struts...............sure.

Is it advisable..............nope.

Stock style springs and struts aren’t meant to be as compressed as what they will be once it’s lowered. There also not designed to run the same specs that’s needed to truly dampen the harder ride once lowered and the rebound needed.

So yes, you can, but no you shouldn’t. Look for deals on used setups. Plenty of guys have good used shocks and struts for sale when they switch to coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted

Reaction score
Can you do the springs with stock shocks and struts...............sure.

Is it advisable..............nope.

Stock style springs and struts aren’t meant to be as compressed as what they will be once it’s lowered. There also not designed to run the same specs that’s needed to truly dampen the harder ride once lowered and the rebound needed.

So yes, you can, but no you shouldn’t. Look for deals on used setups. Plenty of guys have good used shocks and struts for sale when they switch to coil overs.

Great information right there.^

joe65

Reaction score
I watch FB, here, CL, and Ebay for deals. Usually you can find good shocks/struts that are used but still good.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn’t MM have a camber kit that allows for multiple corrections?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Actually, let's deliberate it much better.

Every single off the shelf shock is designed to be the same dimensions as the stock shock right down the mounting points, internal layout. Compression and rebound rate are same at the half point of the stroke as they are at the 3/4 point, you can see that in the shock dynos. The difference is that high performance shocks are filled with better oil, their valving setup is designed not only to be slower (reads as stiffer shock), but also to control the oil flow better though the valves, to keep the oil from foaming. So then you have to consider a few things. Are the replacement shocks up to the same spec as factory? If they are, how much stiffer is the replacement spring you are planning on running? Is the percentage difference small enough for a shock to handle the extra force? When MM says don't run lowering springs with stock shocks, they dumb it down a little bit, because even all of their off the shelf shocks are using OEM external dimensions.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, let's deliberate it much better.

Every single off the shelf shock is designed to be the same dimensions as the stock shock right down the mounting points, internal layout. Compression and rebound rate are same at the half point of the stroke as they are at the 3/4 point, you can see that in the shock dynos. The difference is that high performance shocks are filled with better oil, their valving setup is designed not only to be slower (reads as stiffer shock), but also to control the oil flow better though the valves, to keep the oil from foaming. So then you have to consider a few things. Are the replacement shocks up to the same spec as factory? If they are, how much stiffer is the replacement spring you are planning on running? Is the percentage difference small enough for a shock to handle the extra force? When MM says don't run lowering springs with stock shocks, they dumb it down a little bit, because even all of their off the shelf shocks are using OEM external dimensions.

Show off............. [emoji2957]

waynenorcross

Reaction score
I bought a slightly used set of Tokicos. 5 way adjustable. I went through a number of spring combos from Eibach tonGriggs and the shocks were up to all of them. Konis adjust for both directions but they are much more expensive. I got 100K miles out of them and they were still fine when I sold the car. Not sure what camber plates have to do with this discussion. They make changing your camber easy on track day but that is it. They don't change the mounting point of the top of the struts. BTW, I used all Steeda or Griggs. Good stuff

Notthenow

Reaction score
Great question and I love the answers especially from ReplicaR. In the same vein, I installed the Ford Bullitt kit with springs, sway bar, and Tokico struts and shocks. It was $500 several years ago and one of my first changes to my '98. I have a set of Steeda sport springs to install to get it a bit lower. How compatible are the Bullitt Tokicos? Also, what's the opinion on the Eiback sway bars that are slightly larger?

Tomwas

Reaction score
I ordered a set of manzos, they're cheap... Going to install and leave all else stock. Did put new oe Monroe's in the rear, old ones were shot.. Will see how it works out.... Got the car last Saturday... Still waiting for plates as registration has to be done through the mail.... Sucks

Notthenow

Reaction score
First time hearing of Manzo. I got my Steeda springs for $165 on sale.

Tomwas

Reaction score
$108, shipping included... They sell other performance items also

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as OP when I lowered my car. I just put Monroe Senastrac shocks/struts in right at the year mark prior to lowering my car on Steeda Sport springs. The car got a 1.5" drop. I'll mirror what evilcw said... can you do it? Sure. Is it advisable? Nope.

The ride wasn't pleasant, but it was my DD so I stuck with it until I went on a cruise with my club with a buddy in my car. It was embarrassing.

I ended up getting Koni STR.T shocks and struts. Kind of wish I went with the Bilsteins but the ride is so much better now. The only thing I will be redoing is the caster/camber plates. I'd recommend MM's design as it's extremely stout. These cheap plates from LMR don't look all too good after use. They look like cheap metal and I'm not sure it makes me sleep well at night knowing how much weight they are bearing on them.

joe65

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as OP when I lowered my car. I just put Monroe Senastrac shocks/struts in right at the year mark prior to lowering my car on Steeda Sport springs. The car got a 1.5" drop. I'll mirror what evilcw said... can you do it? Sure. Is it advisable? Nope.

The ride wasn't pleasant, but it was my DD so I stuck with it until I went on a cruise with my club with a buddy in my car. It was embarrassing.

I ended up getting Koni STR.T shocks and struts. Kind of wish I went with the Bilsteins but the ride is so much better now. The only thing I will be redoing is the caster/camber plates. I'd recommend MM's design as it's extremely stout. These cheap plates from LMR don't look all too good after use. They look like cheap metal and I'm not sure it makes me sleep well at night knowing how much weight they are bearing on them.

really not trying to crap on your decision, but i used the koni STR.Ts on my last fox and i was not impressed. I find a way no matter what now to use Bilstein on everything. It is personal opinion, but they just feel better to me.

TrickVert

Reaction score
On the sway bar question earlier: I installed Eibach sway bars at the same time as my Pro-Kit springs and Tokico Illumina shocks. I made a lot of changes at once, but body roll is nearly imperceptible, and handling is *vastly* improved over stock.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
really not trying to crap on your decision, but i used the koni STR.Ts on my last fox and i was not impressed. I find a way no matter what now to use Bilstein on everything. It is personal opinion, but they just feel better to me.

You know what they say about opinions don’t ya?!? [emoji38]

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score

I have no doubt the Bilsteins are superior. They had better be for double the price.

joe65

Reaction score
You know what they say about opinions don’t ya?!? [emoji38]

Yep they are like assholes everybody has one.

And its funny because i've never bought a new set of bilstein struts for a Mustang. I always find some like new used ones that somebody is selling. yes they are expensive.

Reaction score
best combo to do if you want to be relatively stock and not too expensive: get some quality lowering springs and some bilstein HD dampers and youll be good. dont forget some cc plates and a bumpsteer kit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online