A window WTF

myk

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is for my 01 GT.

I tried to roll up my driver side window and it wouldn't go up. I could hear the motor working but I heard some random noises, and then suddenly the motor just stopped. I lowered the window again with no trouble but it couldn't come back up. On top of that, as the window tried to come up it pushed the dew strip right off of the door. I'm guessing the window is off track? Just for security's sake I pulled the window up into place where it's stayed, fortunately.

Based on common experience am I looking at a broken regulator or what? I didn't have a chance to pop off the door panel and see for myself, but before I do that I was hoping you guys could tell me what this probably is all about.

I also have a question about parts. If this is a regulator issue it looks as if the window motor comes with the regulator. Should I replace both or just the regulator? The combo piece is pretty pricey, I've noticed. In any case, any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

07GtS197

Reaction score
Most likely the window has come unglued from the regulator. It happened on my 00 gt and it wasnt a hard fix but I couldnt tell you what epoxy to use. I used silicon and then tried some black (I forget what it was) epoxy from advance that only held up for a little while. Meanwhile it stuck to my sweat pants for like 5 years!

I didnt bother with the window motors and they worked til the day I sold it.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and you're right: the window came unglued. I'm assuming the only lasting repair is window replacement? Where do I go for that? Do shops even carry our glass anymore?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think they do carry it. But a body shop I think would have the right glue you would need. I remember someone on here used to talk about having this problem once a year or so, and he found glue that would work for about a year.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yea its a common problem with our cars unfortuneately. Like g36 said a body shop may have an epoxy that works. Maybe call the dealer because I know they had a lot of window epoxy at one time for this very reason.

lutter94

Reaction score
I glued mine back in like 3 or 4 times, then bought a replacement off eBay for like 90. Install was another 100.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to go with replacement. I could do it myself but if I can get a lifetime warranty from a shop then I'll go that route.

Glue on a car's body part? What was Ford thinking. Thanks for the support guys...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glue on a car's body part? What was Ford thinking. Thanks for the support guys...

You do know that most vehicles today have the body panels glued together instead of welded don't you?? It's been that way for years. The epoxy seam sealers is stronger than welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
You do know that most vehicles today have the body panels glued together instead of welded don't you?? It's been that way for years. The epoxy seam sealers is stronger than welding.

Well if that were 100% true then I wouldn't have to get my window replaced.

And call me old fashioned but I'll take a weld over glue any time...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well if that were 100% true then I wouldn't have to get my window replaced.

And call me old fashioned but I'll take a weld over glue any time...

Don't buy anything newer then early 90's then. Most cars since then have panels that are Chemically bonded. And coming from doing tons of body work over the years I'll tell you that the 3m body panel epoxies are incredibly strong and you don't have to worry about warping a body panel with heat when using it as opposed to welding.

And by the way, I do weld as well.

The problem with your window is that the specific epoxy ford used was crap, but that doesn't mean that the epoxys available today are.

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
Mines will do this I may bang right behind the front speaker area while holding the button usually goes up lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online