About New Engine Time Stroker Questions

Sidewinder

Reaction score
The 302 in my car is really tired. I have been thinking of going to a 347. How is the reliability on these engines? You guys that have them do you feel that you can get 100K miles out of one properly taken care of? I am not looking to build a drag racer. I would like to see the full weight 95 running low to mid 12's and just be fun to drive. Knowing that would you suggest another path to follow? Does anyone have a CHP built crate 347 or shortblock? I do not have a ton of money to spend so I need to get this right the first time. Thanks.

Green 94 331

Reaction score
my blown 331 is from chp and the quality is top notch. VibrantRedGT from stangnet has a 347 longblock from them as well and i will tell you from experience, it pulls like i never would have expected. he drives it maybe 100 miles a week with no issues at all.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sidewinder said:
The 302 in my car is really tired. I have been thinking of going to a 347. How is the reliability on these engines? You guys that have them do you feel that you can get 100K miles out of one properly taken care of? I am not looking to build a drag racer. I would like to see the full weight 95 running low to mid 12's and just be fun to drive. Knowing that would you suggest another path to follow? Does anyone have a CHP built crate 347 or shortblock? I do not have a ton of money to spend so I need to get this right the first time. Thanks.

if I were you, and i was doing a new motor anyway.........I would not waste my time with a 331 or 347 I would go ahead and drop in a Windsor :boink:. You can get the block and get the build kit for under a grand. Then top it with whatever you want as far as heads intake and so forth. There is no way I would but a 302 stroker just get the Windsor and be done with it.

Green 94 331

Reaction score
the thing is all the accessories brackets and mounts he has now will bolt to a 347. the 351 will require headers, mounts, new lower intake, distributor and a few other things that run the price up a decent amount.

OP
OP
S

Sidewinder

Reaction score
A 351 is not out of the question but I am not really wild about all of the extra cost I would have to change everything over. I was asking about 347 and reliability because I hear of a lot of people really happy with them and getting good power out of them. I am just a little worried about wear due to the wrist pin intruding on the lower oil ring and the lateral forces due to the increased rod ratio wearing on the rings. I am trying to get a feel for what they are in the real world. If guys are getting 100K out of them then I have no problem with them, If they are rebuilding their lower end every 30K miles cause of the wear then I would want a 306, 331, or would move up to the 351. If I am going to drop 5 or 6 grand on a new engine I need it to last.

Reaction score
The problems with the 347 has been solved according to CHP. But if it were me, which I will do in about a year or so is to get the 331. Great all around motor and you can even stroke it more to a 347 if you want more. Plus for my DD, it would be better than a 347 for me.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
I would do a 331 stroker shortblock.
Then get a supercharger after that.

OP
OP
S

Sidewinder

Reaction score
I like the supercharger 331 idea. That sounds like a good compromise. What kind of power might an EFI 331 with like a Kenne Bell running through mild aluminum heads or even a set of GT30P heads to keep costs down? I am a guy so that means that there is no such thing as too much power but I have to find a ballance between power and reliable dirveability. I don't want soo much power that I am cracking blocks on my way to the store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.