ABS Advice Please

chris86uk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've got a '96 GT and I'm looking to replace all my brake lines/calipers etc, maybe the master cylinder and hydroboost too as the car is 22 years old now.

The problem I have is, I've heard that bleeding the Bosch ABS unit is difficult and I'd need a particular scan tool to cycle the pistons inside the unit to bleed it.

I live in England so importing the parts themselves becomes expensive by the time I've paid shipping and import duties, so I could do without the extra expense of a tool I'm only going to use once, not to mention I have no idea where to get hold of one.

I've seen that ABS deletes are quite popular with you guys, but I'm trying to weigh up my options between keeping the car as it is, as ABS is obviously a benefit, vs simplifying the system and keeping the costs down.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ABS is only a benefit if it is working correctly. Your unit is 22 years old and hard to replace -very expensive-. I never did anything different bleeding the brakes other that not letting it go empty and suck air. ABS can have problems if you change tire size and set up and different size calipers and brake pads. Mine was working fine but could not handle my monthly changes so I removed it, saved 30 pounds of weight and got better space around the front of the car.
IMG_0836-D.jpg

95opal

Reaction score
Abs is only a benifit to people who are not proficient at threshold breaking. Otherwise its a complete waist.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Abs is only a benifit to people who are not proficient at threshold breaking. Otherwise its a complete waist.

Just curious what % of drivers do you think that is proficient at threshold braking?

With how strict the laws are in the european area I would be surprised if removing it would be legal and not discovered during their inspections. I thought they were pretty strict?

95opal

Reaction score
Just curious what % of drivers do you think that is proficient at threshold braking?

With how strict the laws are in the european area I would be surprised if removing it would be legal and not discovered during their inspections. I thought they were pretty strict?

As far as I know there isnt a country on this planet that abs is mandated. The fact is there needs to be evidence that it will prevent an accident and as of now there is none. There is more data for electronic stability control saving lives than abs. Like I said its a pretty useless item.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I figured that it would be considered a safety device and much like disabling an air bag can cause problems in inspection that an abs light could as well. The inspections in europe are a little more intense from what I have heard.

95opal

Reaction score
I figured that it would be considered a safety device and much like disabling an air bag can cause problems in inspection that an abs light could as well. The inspections in europe are a little more intense from what I have heard.

Its more of a fail safe item than anything. Problem is they use a wheel sensor to apply braking the moment you change wheel and tire size you throw the entire sensor calibration off and are now stuck with a system that in effect dosent work properly. Drop in some bigger brakes and rotors with the bigger wheel and now you have what?a useless system that is so far out of calibration it becomes irrelevant. Again it was designed more as a fail safe than a means of proper braking.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Our MOT test rules are pretty strict, I can't say for sure whether they're stricter than in America though. The thing is, whilst they are strict, they haven't got a clue when it comes to imports. My local MOT centre doesn't know what features a US car should have fitted on a given year so that wouldn't be an issue.

The general rule is 'if it's fitted, it has to work'. So for instance, if you had a REAR wiper that didn't work, it would be an MOT fail, but if you unbolt it.... You get the picture.

I learned to drive in a car with no ABS, my first car didn't have it and I also have an old VW bus which obviously doesn't have it, so personally I have zero concerns about driving a car with it removed. I'm just wondering if there's a way to bleed this ABS unit without a scan tool. I want to replace ALL the brake pipes, so I would definitely get air into the system.

Chris

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your gonna replace the lines anyways then save yourself the trouble and eliminate the abs.

All it takes is staggered wheel sizes and it’s worthless. It’s a badly outdated system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've got a '96 GT and I'm looking to replace all my brake lines/calipers etc, maybe the master cylinder and hydroboost too as the car is 22 years old now.

The problem I have is, I've heard that bleeding the Bosch ABS unit is difficult and I'd need a particular scan tool to cycle the pistons inside the unit to bleed it.

I live in England so importing the parts themselves becomes expensive by the time I've paid shipping and import duties, so I could do without the extra expense of a tool I'm only going to use once, not to mention I have no idea where to get hold of one.

I've seen that ABS deletes are quite popular with you guys, but I'm trying to weigh up my options between keeping the car as it is, as ABS is obviously a benefit, vs simplifying the system and keeping the costs down.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

I daily my 95 with no abs and Nitto radials in Louisiana lol. You seriously won’t notice a difference cept maybe in the rain and full on foot to the floor braking.

Fill

Reaction score
ABS is only a benefit if it is working correctly. Your unit is 22 years old and hard to replace -very expensive-. I never did anything different bleeding the brakes other that not letting it go empty and suck air. ABS can have problems if you change tire size and set up and different size calipers and brake pads. Mine was working fine but could not handle my monthly changes so I removed it, saved 30 pounds of weight and got better space around the front of the car.
IMG_0836-D.jpg

The Mustang ABS Actuator pump/module with bracket does not weigh 30lbs. The heaviest of the Mustangs are 94-97 weighing in at 13.5 lbs with bracket.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your right. Now remove brackets, spare lines, reluctors, sensors, wiring harness...Go look up my pictures, that is a big pile of junk compaired to just the motor unit. With shipping it came to 33 pounds to the guy that bought the compleat system?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea but that included the cardboard and tape/packing materials right?! :) I can believe it weighs that much.

Fill

Reaction score
Your right. Now remove brackets, spare lines, reluctors, sensors, wiring harness...Go look up my pictures, that is a big pile of junk compaired to just the motor unit. With shipping it came to 33 pounds to the guy that bought the compleat system?

I'm talking only about installing an ABS Delete Manifold/Block.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had fun stripping out my '96 for racing only to have to put all the crap back on when SCCA changed the rules now I am back to a street car.

Fill

Reaction score
I had fun stripping out my '96 for racing only to have to put all the crap back on when SCCA changed the rules now I am back to a street car.

That sucks! I had the entire factory brake hydro-boost system removed from my 03 Mach 1, including the emissions, factory computer/wiring, EFI. I have manual brakes & manual steering. Now I have a carbureted 4.6l DOHC motor with a built TKO 600. I designed an ABS delete manifold back in 2006 for my 03 Mach 1 and ran it many yrs before removing the factory brake system.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some of my GOOD ideas for you, not the bad ones..
IMG_0838-D.jpg

This is a 1/4 turn valve the sets the rear brakes. This got rid of a BIG pile of metal and some of the big dogs I race against copied me.
IMG_0746-D.jpg

This is running PBR Cobra front calipers on the rear.
IMG_0643-D.jpg

This I should have done first, and everyone should do to see how Ford put their car together, saves A LOT of wondering?
IMG_0646-D.jpg

Shock tower support.
IMG_0677-D.jpg

Shock tower brace.
IMG_0735-D.jpg

Support for the roll bar, welded into the sub frame connectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online