ABS - Cobra vs GT, 94-95 vs 96-04

spittinfire

Reaction score
I 5 lug swapped an 88 Turbo Coupe using spindles and the complete axle from a 95 Mustang GT. I'm planning to take the Teves ABS/master cylider off the car and convert it to vacuum assist using a Fox body booster and probably an SVO master cylinder. I've got SN95 Cobra brakes to go on it but when I change the master cylinder I would like to put ABS back on the car. Since the SN95 ABS is stand alone I don't think this will be too hard but I've got some questions that I can't find the answers to.

Is the GT ABS system the same as the Cobra? There has to be a ton of GTs out there with Cobra brakes put on and I doubt they've changed their ABS system. Can I run GT ABS with the Cobra brakes?

If anyone cares, this is what I'm working on. Just got it painted and haven't put the side molding back on yet and I'm still polishing the lights but I'm in the home stretch.

IMG_1002[1].JPG

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure the abs system is the same. As long as you have the wheel speed sensors on each corner it should not be too hard to add

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I've been looking at SS hard brake lines for my '95 Cobra and the ones I found state that they are for the Cobra only, so maybe at least the hard lines are different.
BTW a friend of mine had a T-Bird Turbo Coupe of that same vintage that he was trying to get rid of because it was not running and he had to move. It was a rare 5-speed model that needed TLC but nobody was interested so he ended up practically giving it away to a wrecker for $500 credit. I was not a member here at the time or I would have posted about it.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
BTW the calipers are different between the two cars, which means their caliper piston area is different. There may just be a calibration difference between the controllers, or perhaps it's not the ABS pump, but its electronic control module.
I personally don't think it makes any difference. I'm running big Alcon 4-piston calipers in front and PBS calipers (with more aggressive pads) in back with my stock M/C, proportioning valve and ABS and everything works fantastic. I have massive balanced stopping power and the ABS works as expected.
For the front Cobra calipers I recommend the Hawk Black pads (because they have better cold torque) unless you're really pushing them, in which case the Blue. I use the Blue in front and DTC in back on the track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online