ABS Delete

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with doing an ABS delete? I took the ABS pump off the other day and that thing has some serious weight to it. I've saw some posts elsewhere about using a ABS delete manifold so you don't have to plum new lines. Worth it? It would sure make things cleaning without having that big unit mounted up front. I don't think the ABS functions can be shut off at the ECU, so I assume the light would always be on and would warrant removing the bulb from the cluster.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
FYI - I ordered those wire clips last night, will let you know when I get them.

Is deleting your abs in the name of weight really a good idea? What is it really going to buy you in the end?

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FYI - I ordered those wire clips last night, will let you know when I get them.

Ok great.

Is deleting your abs in the name of weight really a good idea? What is it really going to buy you in the end?

In the name of weight savings and a cleaner engine bay. Having that huge pump gone allows for more room towards the front of the engine bay for stuff like: intercooler pipes, larger radiator, etc.

The only time I've ever had the ABS kick in was when I was driving my sixer on ice and snow.... which won't happen on either of my cobras because they're stored in the garage during the winter. There were versions of our cars that came from the factory without ABS or traction control. Besides, if you don't "panic brake" you'll never even notice the ABS is gone.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I can't say I've ever really needed my ABS personally. So I can totally see removing the pump and all lines attached.... As being a good thing for building down the road. Just my .02

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would say the same thing that I never needed nor saw my abs kick it, prior to that jackass coming to a sudden stop in the middle of a 3 lane highway at 1pm on a Friday. I did feel them kick in that time.... Just seems like a perfect way to set yourself up to fail later. Like your gun, you will not need your abs, till you need it and then you better hope you have it ready/waiting.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like your gun, you will not need your abs, till you need it and then you better hope you have it ready/waiting.

I see what you're saying and I like that analogy. However, I learned to drive on a first gen Ford Ranger without ABS. I'm confident that I can do without it.

The problem is, people are trained to slam on their brakes and let the ABS system do the work for them... which is correct, unless of course, you're driving a vehicle that's not equipped with ABS. There was a study done a while back (I'll have to find the source again when I have time) and it was found that cars with anti-lock brakes are something like 60 or 70 percent more likely to be in fatal crashes than cars without ABS. I feel that people who rely on technology instead of better driving habits to improve safety are are more dangerous on the road.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a delete manifold for my car. I pulled all of the sensors from all 4 corners, did the delete manifold with a line lock attached to it, and pulled the bulb out of the gauge cluster...I like it because everything is 100% reversible...

TLSF150

Reaction score
I see what you're saying and I like that analogy. However, I learned to drive on a first gen Ford Ranger without ABS. I'm confident that I can do without it.

The problem is, people are trained to slam on their brakes and let the ABS system do the work for them... which is correct, unless of course, you're driving a vehicle that's not equipped with ABS. There was a study done a while back (I'll have to find the source again when I have time) and it was found that cars with anti-lock brakes are something like 60 or 70 percent more likely to be in fatal crashes than cars without ABS. I feel that people who rely on technology instead of better driving habits to improve safety are are more dangerous on the road.

Id like to see that study If you can find it...

Not that I disagree with you.. I actually agree 100% with you.. my car doesnt have anti lock brakes and I dont feel any need for them..

My only concern with the study is I have a feeling it was based off fatal crashes say in the last 5 years as an example... if thats the case id say theres plenty more cars with ABS on the road then with out which would obviously throw the precentages off

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2!

Nightmare

Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with doing an ABS delete? I took the ABS pump off the other day and that thing has some serious weight to it. I've saw some posts elsewhere about using a ABS delete manifold so you don't have to plum new lines. Worth it? It would sure make things cleaning without having that big unit mounted up front. I don't think the ABS functions can be shut off at the ECU, so I assume the light would always be on and would warrant removing the bulb from the cluster.

I may just re-do the lines since the ones that run along the bottom of the core support are all bent up anyway.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10629254-post.html#post10

This is all true....the other thing is that the trac light will stay all the time on the switch

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is all true....the other thing is that the trac light will stay all the time on the switch

Even if I leave the ABS in place, I planned on turning the traction control off permanently in the tune, just like I did with my red car. Doing so causes the "Trac Off" button to always stay illuminated, which is no big deal to me.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Same thing on mine......there has been only a very few times where I wish it was on, like when I get caught in the rain with the Nittos.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Id like to see that study If you can find it...

Okay, here we go... This was done in 1999 by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). And before anybody says, "Well these are old statistics and ABS technology is probably better now than it was back in the mid to late 90s. Yes, probably so, but keep in mind that we ARE dealing with ABS technology from the mid and late 90s on these cars.

In regards to only those crashes involving fatalities, ABS was found to be associated with a 51 percent increase in fatal rollover crashes on dry roads. For fatal side impact crashes, ABS produced a 69 percent increase for unfavorable road conditions, and a 61 percent increase for favorable road conditions.

Source: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NRD/Multimedia/PDFs/VRTC/ca/capubs/sae1999-01-1288.pdf

There are other statistics from various studies showing different results for fatal vs non-fatal crashes. Crashes involving pedestrians vs crashes involving other vehicles, etc.
Nothing in there was significantly Earth shattering one way or the other.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not that the legalities would stop us but I wonder if removing it would make it fail inspection if we had them here in Indiana?

chris91

Reaction score
One thing I love about my 99 is it didnt come with T/C. I hated constantly turning it off on my old 99.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not that the legalities would stop us but I wonder if removing it would make it fail inspection if we had them here in Indiana?

ABS is not a required safety feature. ABS is required in other places like Europe, but the NHTSA has deferred a decision to mandate ABS in the United States because real world crash avoidance performance of ABS is below expectations.

Edit:
I guess starting with 2012 model vehicles and newer, Electronic Stability Control (traction control) is now requirement, and therefore ABS would be an indirect requirement since Traction Control is built upon ABS. However, most cars still have a traction control override, that would allow it to be turned off.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no its not required but I am willing to bet that messing with any safety device on the car, just like the airbags for example if they were removed/modified, would make it fail inspection if there was one. I know installers that removed air bags in shop/demo cars and it was all nice and dandy till the next time they went to inspection and it failed. at that point they parked it in front of the shop and rarely moved it.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just take out the trac light while your taking out your abs light.... they are simple to remove.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online