ABS light stays on from start of car

steam29

Reaction score
what is abs ? and how would i fix or diagnose this problem ? 1998 mustang gt ?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ABS is your Antilock Braking System. It's the module thing sitting on the lower radiator support on the passenger side, next to the radiator with the brake lines coming out of it.

If your light is always on, then there are a couple things that could be causing the issue, starting with a bad fuse all the way to the failure of the hydraulic actuator / control module.

Assuming you haven't done anything recently that might cause the light to come on (like hitting something with your wheels or damaging a brake line), the easiest thing to do first is to check for codes. If you have the proper scanner you can hook up to the OBDII port. If you don't have a scanner, go to Auto Zone or equivalent - they will scan for free.

There might also be a way to make the lamp flash the codes if you don't have a proper scanner - unfortunately I know how to do this on a 94/95, not a 96 or newer. Hopefully someone with specific experience there will chime in.

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
ABS is your Antilock Braking System. It's the module thing sitting on the lower radiator support on the passenger side, next to the radiator with the brake lines coming out of it.

If your light is always on, then there are a couple things that could be causing the issue, starting with a bad fuse all the way to the failure of the hydraulic actuator / control module.

Assuming you haven't done anything recently that might cause the light to come on (like hitting something with your wheels or damaging a brake line), the easiest thing to do first is to check for codes. If you have the proper scanner you can hook up to the OBDII port. If you don't have a scanner, go to Auto Zone or equivalent - they will scan for free.

There might also be a way to make the lamp flash the codes if you don't have a proper scanner - unfortunately I know how to do this on a 94/95, not a 96 or newer. Hopefully someone with specific experience there will chime in.

good thing there is an auto zone right up the street :) i hope its not broken.. that's like $100

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if the scanner can read the ABS codes - I am inclined to think that it does. Either way, they should be able to tell you pretty quick. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, not that I recommend it, but you could always disable the ABS. Your car doesn't need it to brake. It will still brake. You will just lose the advantage of having it if you disable it. If you have a choice, I recommend keeping it enabled, even if it costs some money. The one time it saves you, it will pay for itself. But it isn't necessary.

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
well my dad said we were gonna fix the brakes first then take it to my cousin at ford so i am guessing it will be a while :/ and yea true id rather keep it enabled with me still learning to drive and stuff l

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh well no worries, you can still drive the car. The ABS light just means that the ABS system isn't working - your brakes though will still continue to work as long as you have the brake fluid reservoir filled.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not told anyone but I just ripped my break pedal out. It saved me almost 6 lbs and I just use the parking brake if I REALLY need to stop. So far so good.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have not told anyone but I just ripped my break pedal out. It saved me almost 6 lbs and I just use the parking brake if I REALLY need to stop. So far so good.

Werd :thumbsup:

Five O

Reaction score
I had the ABS light on for over a year, but the brakes worked just fine since they're still four-wheel disc. In my case, however, it was the rear ABS sensors that were causing the ABS system to not work whatsoever.

Also, ttocs, you know much more than I about this stuff, but isn't that dangerous? Yikes!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nope still stops on a dime. At least it did when I took the wheels off well over a year ago but there is no reason to think its changed.

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score

Five O

Reaction score
Nope still stops on a dime. At least it did when I took the wheels off well over a year ago but there is no reason to think its changed.

I'll take your word for it, I don't have your muy grande cojones. I'm dumb enough to forget to use the E brake in such a situation.

kb1982

Reaction score
Go ahead and do the brakes like you planned. While you are doing that, inspect for broken abs sensors or an abundance of metal shards stuck to them. That is usually the most common issue. The sensors are just a little magnectic rod about an inch long. Kinda like a hall sensor for a reluctor wheel on ignition systems. In the link, you can see the lil round thing a ma bob that im talking bout on the end of the wiring harness. http://www.cjponyparts.com/abs-sens...kTd3UcNnIkp3Zt_gWcZIccZvkykGwTYNX4aAowz8P8HAQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online