ABS not working (cluster light) removed

Danfixxer

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I bought my 96 GT a month ago and I've been working a lot on it because she has to pass inspection. I did a lot of work last weekend, including an upgrade to front cobra brakes.
This week i tested the brakes and every time i do a hard braking the rear wheels block.
The car has ABS and at start up the light comes on and then fades off, i didn't noticed before the test that the light does this at the exactly same time that my coolant level light. i also noticed that my check engine light didn't light at start up, so i was suspicious about the last owner taking the check engine light off and that he has done something to the ABS light. but before trying to take the cluster out, i ran an ABS flash code test jumping the orange/white cable and the black cable on the engine bay test plug, and had nothing on the cluster light, (not flashes, No nothing) so i went to the cluster, and this guy took the check engine light out, and the coolant level light had a couple of wires welded to it and a bulb goin in the ABS light place glued with a piece of tape. i replaced the check engine light and works perfect, it lights on wen you turn the key to acc and comes off at start up, the ABS light on the other hand does nothing, it doesn't light on at any time, so i think the ABS module is not working, because i have voltage coming to the module, and if i put voltage on the signal to the light on the dash cable from the module bracket, the light comes on. what do you guys think? is it possible to find a module? I've been trying to find a module in internet and i didn't find it.
i have a part number, its a BOSCH unit 0 265 207 000
any help would be much appreciated, and if someone has a module for sale i will make an offer and pay for the delivery to switzerland.
thanks again.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The light is supposed to come on for a few seconds and then turn off right after cranking.

OP
OP
Danfixxer

Danfixxer

Reaction score
The light is supposed to come on for a few seconds and then turn off right after cranking.
Yes is supposed to do that, but the ABS module doesn't send any kind of signal and is not working. i can't even run a flash code test.

Monday

Reaction score
Doesn't mean they don't work - your brakes I mean. I had the same problem. I just deleted the ABS System entirely. 1996 was the last year ABS was optional.

===========================================================

I just noticed you're in Switzerland. I don't know if that is legal in your country.

OP
OP
Danfixxer

Danfixxer

Reaction score
have you checked all your fuses?
I checked the engine compartment fuse box, the big fuse is working, the small fuse on the cabin i didn't check. i will check today.

OP
OP
Danfixxer

Danfixxer

Reaction score
Doesn't mean they don't work - your brakes I mean. I had the same problem. I just deleted the ABS System entirely. 1996 was the last year ABS was optional.

===========================================================

I just noticed you're in Switzerland. I don't know if that is legal in your country.

Sadly is not legal in here, is like any kind of mod, it has to look super stock because if the inspection guy notice something, it won't pass.

OP
OP
Danfixxer

Danfixxer

Reaction score
UPDATE

OK guys after doing some research here is an update of the situation.
I replaced the cluster ABS bulb, checked the big fuse in the engine compartment and the small fuse inside the cabin and both are in working order.
Wen i put the key on acc the ABS bulb does not come on, after start the light does not come on and still if i have to do an emergency braking the rear wheels block.
If i try to run a flash code test, jumping to ground the white/orange cable on the test plug on engine bay, the light does not come on at all.
The pump is getting voltage i test it, and the cluster light comes on wen i jump the system at the pump level.
I need some help.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so it sounds like you have checked 2 fuses? If that is the case, go back stick your head in the box for the 2 mins it takes to pull/inspect EVERY fuse in the box. I know it sounds like a lot of work but you will see that it takes MUCH less time than trying to decipher the manual as to the one fuse that it says could be involved with the problem at hand and its amazing how often another fuse that seems to have nothing to do with the problem is blown.

Did you have the system apart far/long enough that you got some air in the abs pump? IF that is the case you will need to completely bleed the entire system again after you have got it to lock up/go into abs braking. Also did you do anything to the rear brakes at all? Even take a wheel off and see what they look like? If not it would be a good idea to get a look at them and then while your there you can bleed them.

OP
OP
Danfixxer

Danfixxer

Reaction score
Ok guys here is an update of the abs light situation.
Like I said the abs light didn’t come on at any time.
The abs module didn’t communicated any signal, so the light stayed off all the time. The big fuse was working, the fuse inside the car fuse box was also working. Tessted the cluster light and the light wasn’t burned. If I tried to run a flash test on the abs I couldn’t run it because the light didn’t come on. So. I found an abs module and replaced it. Now the light comes on during start up and then goes off and my rear brakes don’t block under hard braking. Now I can feel the abs working under hard braking. Thanks for the help and advice to everyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online