AC woes

ft_nox

Reaction score
Going to seem crazy but I promise i'm baffled.. My Air conditioner in my 01 GT will blow ice cold while sitting at idle. As soon as i gather any rate of speed, the air stops blowing cold. This is the exact opposite of every other A/C problem ive seen on the forum. Anybody have any ideas?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Basically, the AC system is a balanced heat exchanger which uses varying pressure to control the temperature. The high pressure side is used to transfer the heat to the outside air via the condenser. The expansion valve drops the refrigerant's pressure drastically, also dropping the temperature. The cool refrigerant then passes through the evaporator to cool the cabin, and then makes its way back to the compressor, where the refrigerant is pressurized, and the process starts again.

How sure are you that the system has the correct amount of refrigerant in it? If there is too much much refrigerant in the system, the entire system pressure rises. When the pressure rises on the low pressure side, it makes it hotter, which means it can't cool the air going into the cabin.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
Basically, the AC system is a balanced heat exchanger which uses varying pressure to control the temperature. The high pressure side is used to transfer the heat to the outside air via the condenser. The expansion valve drops the refrigerant's pressure drastically, also dropping the temperature. The cool refrigerant then passes through the evaporator to cool the cabin, and then makes its way back to the compressor, where the refrigerant is pressurized, and the process starts again.

How sure are you that the system has the correct amount of refrigerant in it? If there is too much much refrigerant in the system, the entire system pressure rises. When the pressure rises on the low pressure side, it makes it hotter, which means it can't cool the air going into the cabin.

I'll be the first to admit Deep.. I haven't the slightest clue if it is or isn't charged correctly. I purchased the car, drove it a week and spun a bearing.. Ive since had the 4.6 swapped for another high mileage 4.6 until a time where I can appropriate a coyote. lol

After the op I decided to go outside and give things a once over visually.. I found so much fu**ery that I will have to start elsewhere for my fix.. I'll try to shorten it up and I think i'll even snap pics purely for the entertainment of the forum.

A) Found a dumbass jumper wire running from my A/C compressor to a wire in the E-Fan connector. (Fan ONLY runs with A/C on)
B) A/C is only cool when sitting at idle.. occasionally it will work when going down the road but no way to reliably engage clutch/ make it cool while driving. (Has a mind of its own)
C) Various other wiring discrepancies that make me the dumbest mustang fanatic EVER but I still love my car.. pics on the way.

BTW.. As of late I've been looking at fuses and leaning towards a bad CCRM. Not sure exactly but i'm looking into testing mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online