Adding a water temp gauge

cobraman

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here just got me a 1996 cobra about a month ago.
I am wanting to add a water temperature gauge to it. I was thinking about putting the sending unit in place of the coolant plug in the crossover tube in front off the engine. Do you think it would get an accurate reading there? Any other locations or suggestions?
Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the easiest way I have seen to do it is too cut the hose from the rad/motor and then there is a kit you put in the middle. It just uses clamps on either side and the sensor threads into to top.

Handz

Reaction score
There are 2 ways that are the best IMO.

1. You can use an adapter and mount the sensor in the bleed screw on the coolant crossover.
2. You can screw the sensor in the drain plug on the driver's side of the engine block. (This is what I did).

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
Yeah I was really wanting to get an adapter to mount in place of that plug I have to use vice grips to get off. I just didn't know if it would read accurately there. I don't want to mess with the stock gauge. I just like numbers better. I think I would rather do that then inline with a hose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Handz

Reaction score
Yeah I was really wanting to get an adapter to mount in place of that plug I have to use vice grips to get off. I just didn't know if it would read accurately there. I don't want to mess with the stock gauge. I just like numbers better. I think I would rather do that then inline with a hose.

The stock temp gauge still works, this is an extra hole on the crossover.

I have my temp gauge mounted on the block and its very accurate.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
The stock gauge works but I believe it is mounted to the block. I figured the crossover would be a good place to add one.

Handz

Reaction score
The stock guage is not mounted in the block.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
you can purchase a replacement stainless steel coolant crossover plug that is already tapped for a sending unit. I have one and it works great and makes the install very easy.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
Never looked at them. I have three gauges in the a pillar. Two of them are analog with blue light. The other one is fuel air ratio that goes re green. I want yo add the water temp and oil pressure but I want blue light and eventually change the stock LEDs to reflect blue to match all one color.

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
I also put my sensor in the block on the driverside on my 03 mach1. No mumble jumble running guessing to the parts store. Had all I needed with the gauge

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
Yep thinking the same autometer is what I have so thinking about sticking with them unless anyone has other suggestions

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i custom mounted mine into the radiator-stream. afew fittings from Bell Plumbing and Heating and BAM -- out of sight, out of mind, leaving the OEM stuff as-is.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
Well my plan is to add it to the crossover tube where u add coolant. I'm still debating how I want it to look inside the car. I know you can buy a dual gauge bezel that looks nice and would accommodate the two gauges I want to install. It looks like it would be the cleanest look. Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online