Adding ABS to my Mustang

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Ok I want to add ABS to my 94 Mustang 3.8L Convertible. Im needing to know how the brake lines are ran. Im also Needing like a picture if possible or diagram explaining where each brake line goes to and from where it came from. Also does anyone know where I can get the gear or what ever its called for the rear. It the piece that has the teeth on it that the wheel sensor counts to tell how fast your going. I heard that they just sell that piece that you can install. The front is already taken care of and has them now. I also already have the ABS unit and speed sensors for the front only. I already replaced my wire harness with the one that has the who connections for the ABS unit.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
I want it for better braking and so the tires do lock up if i slam on the brakes. People here in Arizona dont know how to drive and they love to just pull out right in front of you.

RichV

Reaction score
ABS does not give better braking. The brakes are the same, it just helps when people panic so the brakes do not lock up.

IIRC a lot of V6 cars do not have ABS. Not sure how to add it to a non-ABS, there is a lot more than just the lines. The computer/pump are a important part of it. Basically, there is a ABS unit below the airbox, all lines run to/from it.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Thats what I mean when I have to use the brake i just slam and the brakes. I dont pump the brakes i just slam them and hold on. So tires lock up and i start to skid and thats also hard on my tires getting flat spots.

RichV

Reaction score
Why would you do that? I mean you can feel the brakes lock, or do you have an issue with the brakes?

Most of us on here learned to drive without ABS, and although I understand its safety benefit, it is not necessary.

It just sounds stupid, adding ABS because you're flat spotting tires and skidding. Why not learn how to brake properly? Maybe take a few HPDE classes with NASA AZ, you'll learn how to modulate brakes on a race track.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
People here in Arizona dont know how to drive and they love to just pull out right in front of you.

^ This happens everywhere you go.

You think it's bad when somebody pulls out in front of you when you're driving a car?? You should try having it happen when you're behind the wheel of a truck with several tons of cargo in the back...

wmfateam

Reaction score
Yes, come out with NASA AZ June 6th, our HPDE 1 class will help you build confidence and feeling for threshold braking.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It would be such an undertaking it really would not be worth the trouble. better tires, better pads, perhaps upgrade to the stock 99-04 brakes (or get cobra brakes like everyone) to be able to stop faster.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
how much is the class ... Idk I just got all the stuff for free so i was like why not just install it. Well maybe I can find a buyer for it ill sell it cheap,

kenny150r

Reaction score
Just for thought: couldn't abs prevent one from getting flat spots in tires? That's why I would consider getting abs!

wmfateam

Reaction score
Team Safety Driving is $150 and has NASA instructors. A day of HPDE 1 is around $175 but there is always a discount code for first timers. They have done good informational videos on both websites. Nasaaz.com and teamsafetydriving.org

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Yeah its mostly the flat spots im pissed off about i just went threw a set of tires because of that. Also the prorated amount for the old tire is voided if you have flat spots. I have all the lines the unit the wire harness that's already installed all i need to know it where to run the lines and to get the rings for the rear wheels.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
^ This happens everywhere you go.

You think it's bad when somebody pulls out in front of you when you're driving a car?? You should try having it happen when you're behind the wheel of a truck with several tons of cargo in the back...

Yes but phoenix has a funny situation that we do not need to deal with as much here. Snow birds... Its amazing how suddenly around sept that you will NOT be able to find a hospital bed but you are guaranteed to be driving down the 101 at 85 like everyone does until you suddenly have to slam on your brakes for a 92 Lincoln going 52mph in the far left lane being driven only by a set of grey bangs and some knucles on the wheel.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Yes but phoenix has a funny situation that we do not need to deal with as much here. Snow birds... Its amazing how suddenly around sept that you will NOT be able to find a hospital bed but you are guaranteed to be driving down the 101 at 85 like everyone does until you suddenly have to slam on your brakes for a 92 Lincoln going 52mph in the far left lane being driven only by a set of grey bangs and some knuckles on the wheel.

Thats pretty much it and also people that like to turn in front of you choosing your lane. Even though the other two lanes they could of picked had no one in them at all. So you either have to make a big move or slam on the brakes to avoid them.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Im keeping the ABS and im going to install it. I still need help on what adapters id need if any to install the ABS system and wiring exc exc.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
So does anyone have anything that shows the routing of the brake lines? I installed the wire harness from the 95 Mustang that had ABS. So I dont think I will need to run any wires i'm just wondering about how to run the brake line?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online