Adding keyless entry into a 1994 GT with no idea where to begin...

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Calling all wiring gurus!

Ive been hunting for a how to or something that can point me in the right direction but i cannot find anything that will help me start this installation. I have a Viper 211HV i picked up a while back that i would like to install now while i have my driver seat and door apart to replace my seat track and fix my speaker...

My car did not come with keyless entry but it has power everything, locks, windows, seat.

I am very good with electrical work for a kid and am very comfortable installing this but i just simply cant find anything to tell me what wires to tap into.

All i want is to be able to unlock, lock, and pop the trunk. No real interest in panic button but if its easy enough ill hook that up too. Also would like the parking lights to flash on lock and unlock.

I know most of the wires are going to be located under the drivers side kicker panel but again. I need an idea of what colored wires im looking for and which harness under there im tapping into as theres a good amount of wires under there.

I also am having a hard time figuring out exactly which wire does what on this unit.. some are obviously labeled but the wording on some, like all the lock / unlock wires that say normally open, normally closed, #87 etc they confuse me a bit..

Unit
0vurGSA.jpg

Wiring section of install manual.
t6SR7Xg.jpg

pRLnSK2.jpg

xivy39W.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all the lock/unlock stuff that is confusing you is the meat/potato of this install and unfortunately our cars have the hardest wiring systems to correctly find the wires, correctly diagnose the lock/unlock-master/slave side, and then correctly wire them in place or you will blow the lock circuit out. Do a quick search or look at the install for a 5-wire reversing polarity rest at ground system or even look in the manual and it should tell about it. There are 5 wires that go between the control buttons that are all pink with colored indicators on them. You will need the pink/green and pink/yellow wires in it(green is lock if I remember correctly) and test them for voltage when the lock/unlock buttons are pushed. When you think you have them you can test it by simply cutting one of them and when you do you will loose all control from one switch, and the other will only work in one direction. After that you will need to again test the wires to confirm what side is your key side and what side is not, then you can finally wire you keyless wires into it. Again be sure to get the master/slave wiring right or you will let the magic smoke out of the lock circuit, its really hard to put back too.

The first time I did a security install was after I had been installing for almost a year full time(years by then shade-tree) and had the help of someone with experience to help guide me through. It very quickly becomes more then just a simple deck/amp install with all the wires and where they go and its not uncommon for security experts to run into situations that just do not make sense and takes experience trouble shooting to figure out. For request for help with alarm installs I normally tell the people everything I did above and that they can do some expensive/serious damage to the car if they do it wrong since they are dealing with critical circuits. Your just dealing with the locks/trunk so burning them out on a bad install will not leave you stranded. Because of this if you really want to try it I will give you the wire colors I can dig up with the understanding that EVERY wire MUST be tested prior to connecting to them, but I don't remember what year your car is.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Thanks for that answer TTOCS...I will be extra careful when I pick a shop to install mine & use this as a guide to question them thoroughly.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
all the lock/unlock stuff that is confusing you is the meat/potato of this install and unfortunately our cars have the hardest wiring systems to correctly find the wires, correctly diagnose the lock/unlock-master/slave side, and then correctly wire them in place or you will blow the lock circuit out. Do a quick search or look at the install for a 5-wire reversing polarity rest at ground system or even look in the manual and it should tell about it. There are 5 wires that go between the control buttons that are all pink with colored indicators on them. You will need the pink/green and pink/yellow wires in it(green is lock if I remember correctly) and test them for voltage when the lock/unlock buttons are pushed. When you think you have them you can test it by simply cutting one of them and when you do you will loose all control from one switch, and the other will only work in one direction. After that you will need to again test the wires to confirm what side is your key side and what side is not, then you can finally wire you keyless wires into it. Again be sure to get the master/slave wiring right or you will let the magic smoke out of the lock circuit, its really hard to put back too.

The first time I did a security install was after I had been installing for almost a year full time(years by then shade-tree) and had the help of someone with experience to help guide me through. It very quickly becomes more then just a simple deck/amp install with all the wires and where they go and its not uncommon for security experts to run into situations that just do not make sense and takes experience trouble shooting to figure out. For request for help with alarm installs I normally tell the people everything I did above and that they can do some expensive/serious damage to the car if they do it wrong since they are dealing with critical circuits. Your just dealing with the locks/trunk so burning them out on a bad install will not leave you stranded. Because of this if you really want to try it I will give you the wire colors I can dig up with the understanding that EVERY wire MUST be tested prior to connecting to them, but I don't remember what year your car is.
Thank you. I figured since its not a remote start and im not instalking an sensors for broken glass or that sort i coukd handle it.. and i do own a multimeter now so i can test wires.. im assuming every wire i test should be around 12v? Or are there some wires that are not 12v?
if you could dig up the wire colors that would be awesome. Just got my car to school this morning so ill be doing this in my auto class and my auto teacher is also well versed in electrical so if i need any gelp hes there. Its more of the wire colors i need more than anything.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried emailing my friend that still works in 12v again since I didn't get a responce. He might be out of town at the moment or sick or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online