Adding Power!

Gelsomini

Reaction score
So I really need some more ump in my cobra. I am against honestly doing a hci right now because my brother agreed to give me his 347 as a short in a year or twos time. With this being considered I really just would rather save money till then for some great heads, cam, and such. Until then whats my best bets, I was considering turbo, but what kinda that are inexpensive and make decent power? Other suggestions? Thanks!

JKady

Reaction score
Other than full exhaust/headers and the rest of the usual bolt on stuff, not much that's going to give you more HP that is also relatively inexpensive. A good turbo setup is going to cost a couple grand, most SC setups are even more than that. Gears would be a big help though if you don't already have em.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, you've all got to get it in your head: power = money. There is no two ways about it. Also, heads,cam, and intakes are going to be your first line of attack at this and you don't want to venture that route so it's sounding like it's gonna stay the way it is.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Not sure what you have done to the car already, but if you know your going to be swapping the engine later, just do a gear swap.

Relatively inexpensive. No power gains but great acceleration.

torch318

Reaction score
See if you can find a used centrifugal supercharger you can alway resell it when you do the 347.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
On 3 performance is a cheaper turbo system but there are some weak parts in the kit but can be upgraded if you know what they are.
A quick and cheap HP upgrade is nitrous. Probably the most bang for the buck but you need to refill the bottle

OP
OP
Gelsomini

Gelsomini

Reaction score
On 3 performance is a cheaper turbo system but there are some weak parts in the kit but can be upgraded if you know what they are.
A quick and cheap HP upgrade is nitrous. Probably the most bang for the buck but you need to refill the bottle

Def will look into the on3 kits, I was interested in them in the past!

OP
OP
Gelsomini

Gelsomini

Reaction score

Also would hooking up nitrous fry the motor since its stock, has about 106k on it?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be fine, there's a pretty extensive writeup on nitrous somewhere around here lol

95opal

Reaction score
100 shot and don't look back, something you can still use when you go 347 and it wont break the bank

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
There is no HCI setup that's going to make more HP than a Supercharger, Turbo or Nitrous setup. With that in mind let's look at each.

Nitrous: You'll probably upgrade to a Supercharger or Turbo setup because the bottle does run out fast.

Turbo: Buy quality and stay away from On3. More power than a supercharger setup but more complicated of an install. Buy quality and you'll be fine.

Supercharger: Vortech or ProCharger basic kits where you can upgrade later would be nice. Kennebell's older units don't make enough power from the older stuff compared to the newer stuff, so I would stick with Vortech or ProCharger.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

NXcoupe

Reaction score
I just installed an on3 kit for a customer this past summer. Came in making 190 rwhp, left making 350 rwhp on 6 psi with a very safe tune. Kit went on with no issues, everything fit really well. The caveat is that we work with high performance aftermarket stuff all the time and realize the thought and handling it requires to install something like this. I would buy a different wastegate, but the one with the kit works ok. They have really improved the quality and fitment of everything in the kit over older years. Biggest change is the Vband clamps are heavier duty so we had no leaks anywhere. Be advised the exhaust ends at the floorboard, so if you want to go back to your catback you have to order the exhaust Y pipe kit. It fit nicely and worked well with the guys existing exhaust. He loves it and wants to turn up the wick this summer to over 400 rwhp. It's a 160k mile engine btw.

Addermk2

Reaction score
If you're getting a 347 down the line, putting any power adder other than nitrous in your car, is a complete waste of money.

Especially if it's a stock block.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if someone is giving you the motor and you have what sound like long term goals to make big power, why not take the time to rebuild/refresh it all so that you know it can handle what you want to do to it later?

NXcoupe

Reaction score
If you're getting a 347 down the line, putting any power adder other than nitrous in your car, is a complete waste of money.

Especially if it's a stock block.

If he is making 350 rwhp with 6 psi on a turbo, then puts a 347 in it and keeps it at 6 psi of boost, then he will be making 500 rwhp or less, which is nothing to sneeze at and is completely within the realm of a stock block on a safe tune.

Addermk2

Reaction score
If you're going to add a turbo kit, the 347 is still a pointless mod.

Low boost on a 347, or high boost on a 302. both will result in similar horsepower... Except one is significantly cheaper.

the 347 is just pointless with boost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online