Advice on Getting Car Back on the Road After 5 Years in Storage

Four Point Six

Reaction score
So my car has been in storage for the last 4-5 years. I really want to start getting it ready for the road this coming spring. What things am I going to need to address since it's been sitting for long? Do I need to drain all the fuel and somehow clear/clean the fuel lines and injectors? I'm sure the tires are going to have some major flat spots so those will need to be changed.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So my car has been in storage for the last 4-5 years. I really want to start getting it ready for the road this coming spring. What things am I going to need to address since it's been sitting for long? Do I need to drain all the fuel and somehow clear/clean the fuel lines and injectors? I'm sure the tires are going to have some major flat spots so those will need to be changed.

If it was me I'd flush the radiator and motor oil. new oil, fuel & air filter. I'd also do new plugs and wires, other than that I don't see the need for anything else. Tires for sure would need to be changed.

OP
OP
F

Four Point Six

Reaction score
DSC01189.jpg

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Flush everything. Especially if it's been sitting and not running... Tires might not have to be changed.. I'd take your wheels off the car one by one, roll them around and look for any defects in the tread as far as bubbles and stuff goes, look for dry rot, some tires last, others don't, depends on brand and climate. Once you change all your fluids... And I mean ALL. granted you can get away with not changing your PS fluid and brake fluid, but just do it anyways. better safe than sorry. Scan for codes after it starts. And you should be golden.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
While in storage did you start it regularly?

I'd definitely flush all fluids and get all the bad gas out.

OP
OP
F

Four Point Six

Reaction score
While in storage did you start it regularly?

I'd definitely flush all fluids and get all the bad gas out.

Regrettably no I did not start it regularly. It was just supposed to be stored for the winter but I blinked and it's been 4 or 5 years now.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, i might be concerned about the engine's conditions.

I guess you'll have to see if it starts leaking or burning anything. I'd monitor it closely.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Just drain the gas, blow out the fuel lines, change the oil/filter, drain antifreeze, put a battery in it and see what happens. It should fire right up. Tires should be fine after you drive them a little bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online